Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

cable modem/switch/wifi modem connectivity

mojobpmojobp Posts: 2 ✭✭
in Connectivity Oct 21, 2021

I am having a problem with connectivity to my PC thru a switch to the cable modem.

the original configuration was cable modem/wifi modem / PC which worked fine.

I moved the cable modem to the living room and connected cable modem/switch/wifi modem and everything works except if i connect the PC to the switch i cannot connect to the internet. If i run a rj45 cable to the wifi modem in the living room everything works. but it will not work when connected to the switch. I get 'ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration' message when troubleshooting. I have reset everything restarted everything etc. If i connect the PC directly to the wifi modem everything works.

can i only connect devices thru the wifi modem to get to the internet?

cable modem/wifi modem are Spectrum devices.

Best Answer

• Paul_BPaul_B Posts: 419 MOD
    Oct 21, 2021 Accepted Answer

Hello @mojobp and welcome to our community!

When you use a switch, you would still need a router in place in addition to the switch. Each residential customer gets one IP. When you hook up the switch, are you getting internet connectivity to one device?

Thank you.

Paul_B

Replies

• mojobpmojobp Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Oct 24, 2021

Got it. Thanks for your help Paul.

This discussion has been closed.