Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

What do I need to use my own Wifi/Router?

HeyItsHayHeyItsHay Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited October 25 in Home Networking Oct 25, 2021

I just need some confirmation that I have the right authorized equipment, I'm still new at setting up my own internet. I think I have it right but I'm not sure. The router/modem I want is the Netgear C7000 and the one I was planning on buying is the NETGEAR Nighthawk C7000 AC1900 WiFi Router with DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem. I just don't know if its the same thing. Thanks in advance for helping me out :)

Link to the Walmart one:https://www.walmart.com/ip/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-C7000-AC1900-WiFi-Router-with-DOCSIS-3-0-Cable-Modem-Certified-for-XFINITY-by-Comcast-Spectrum-Cox-and-more/46179354?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&&adid=22222222227033636641&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=82711348329&wl4=pla-141024360009&wl5=9023849&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=46179354&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAjwq9mLBhB2EiwAuYdMte2fXb-9tlwKak1oJayYXyuZozLhURALifoCU6VdE93TGisbbskkgxoCy4wQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Replies

• James_MJames_M Posts: 3,109 ADMIN
    Oct 25, 2021

Hi and welcome!

The Netgear C7000 is currently approved on our network for speeds up to 400Mbps. I've included a link to Authorized Modems to Use on the Spectrum Network that you can use a reference. A general rule of thumb is to match the performance to your current or planned service speed level, along with any other desired features.

In case you are not aware, if you choose to use your own modem, you will need to call in to have the modem provisioned to your account before it will work correctly. You will also want to return any Spectrum provided equipment and ensure that billing is updated to reflect the services you are using (for example, have the $5 monthly WiFi fee removed if you are getting WiFi from your own device).

Let us know if you have any other questions!

• HeyItsHayHeyItsHay Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Oct 25, 2021

Okay, thanks! I will be buying it soon then. When we got our internet, a free modem was given to us by Spectrum. Do we have to return that too?

• James_MJames_M Posts: 3,109 ADMIN
    Oct 25, 2021

Yes, the modem you were given needs to be returned. "Free" means that there is no monthly fee, but is considered Spectrum property. There could be a charge for the equipment if it is not returned. Also, please be sure to get a receipt for the returned equipment and keep it in a safe place, it will be your only proof that the equipment was returned.

• HeyItsHayHeyItsHay Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Oct 25, 2021

Okay, I'll keep that in mind. Thank you very much

This discussion has been closed.