Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

what are the Spectrum IPv6 connection type settings

howarthjwhowarthjw Posts: 3 ✭✭
in Connectivity Nov 13, 2021

I am trying to enable IPv6 on a TP Link AX21 wireless router and have gotten IPv6 working once but haven't been able to repeat this trick. Does anyone know the technical settings used for Spectrum's IPv6 implementation? Specifically, do they use DCHPv6 or SLAAC for setting the IPv6 addresses. If they use SLAAC, is the implementation using Stateless DHCP or RDNSS?

Tagged:

Replies

• howarthjwhowarthjw Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Nov 13, 2021

I finally got the IPv6 working on the TP Link AX21 working but the fix is really bizarre. I had to replace the TP Link AX21 wifi router with my previous TP Link A7 wifi router. The A7 booted up with working IPv6 using the settings...

Internet

IPv6 Internet Connection Type set to Dynamic IP (SLAAC/DHCPv6)

LAN

Assigned Type set to SLAAC+ Stateless DHCP

MAC Clone is set to Use Default MAC address

This produced a functioning IPv6 as tested on http://test-ipv6.com/. Then I replaced my A7 with the AX21 wifi router (unplugging the D3.1 eMTA DOCSIS 3.1 Advanced Voice Modem) and set it to...

IPv6 Internet

Internet Connection Type set to Dynamic IP (SLAAC/DHCPv6)

No Primary or Secondary DNS set

IPv6 LAN

Assigned Type: SLAAC+Stateless DHCP

MAC Clone set to Router MAC Address: Use Default MAC Address

which miraculously made IPv6 functional again.

• howarthjwhowarthjw Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Nov 13, 2021

My take on this is that the AX21 firmware doesn't appear to as aggressively clear IPv6 error conditions as the A7 firmware. Alternatively, one could argue that the Spectrum router should be doing a better job of that on its own. So beware of trying settings other than Dynamic IP (SLAAC/DHCPv6) and  SLAAC+Stateless DHCP with the AX21 as you won't be able to clear the resulting error conditions on the Spectrum router.