Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Set Top Box issues

AlliesmomAlliesmom Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited November 15 in TV Equipment Nov 13, 2021

Watching live tv on a tv connected to a set top box and either change the channel OR using sleep timer. When returning to original channel or turning tv on the next day, the channel is 'stuck in the past' around the time the tv channel was changed or the tv turned off. Pressing GUIDE shows the tv is NOT live, but instead is 'sometime in the past'. Fast forward needs to be pressed to get tv to be 'live' again. This only happens on tv's connected to a Spectrum DVR box and does not happen with tv's connected to the smaller set top boxes with no dvr capability.

I have only had Spectrum tv for about a month. This has been an issue from day one. This happens every day.

Customer support is not familiar with this issue but wants to send me new set top boxes to fix the issue. . I don't think that's the issue.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• William_MWilliam_M Posts: 33 MOD
    Nov 14, 2021

Hi Alliesmom! Welcome to our community.

Do you notice this on all channels? Do you have to watch a channel for a certain amount of time before this happens or if you scroll through a couple channels, then scroll through them again they are all in the past?

Have you tried manually rebooting the DVR by removing the power cord for 30 seconds before reconnecting it?

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭
    Nov 14, 2021

Hi All,

This is a known issue with the new Spectrum Guide and its DVR buffer. Other customers have noted the bug in this forum. Rebooting either will not fix this, or will only fix this temporarily. I would suggest turning off both the TV and DVR at the same time to clear the buffer.

@Alliesmom do you have the World Box without a clock, or a box with a clock. Are you recording any shows when this happens? I will investigate further.

Satch

• AlliesmomAlliesmom Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Nov 14, 2021

Thank you both for your responses.

1- I do NOT have a clock on my set top box and have only had Spectrum TV service for 30 days. I also apparently have a new(er) remote that does NOT have a LIVE button (which Spectrum also offered to send me).

2- I am not recording any shows (or at least not all the time am I recording).

3 - Turning off both does clear it but only temporarily. Not a long term option.

4 - At any time of time, I can be watching (example) channel 52 - switch over to channel 54. Stay on 54 for 30 minutes. When I go back to channel 52 - it is exactly the same time I left it, as if it was paused until I come back. This is true for ANY channel (or at least the channels I normally watch). As I indicated previously, it only occurs on the DVR set top boxes. I also have connected non-dvr boxes and do not experience this issue.

I appreciate any help, resolution (preferably) or guidance.

Thank you.

edited November 14 Nov 14, 2021

@Alliesmom,

Can you turn off your box completely, unplug it, and wait for one minute. Plug it back in, allowing it to reboot , and report back to us how long it takes for the issue to reoccur? It sounds like you have the Spectrum 210 DVR. Do the above and than report back, seeing how long it takes for the DVR to not return to live TV after changing channels. We need to get a handle on this issue.

I agree with you @Alliesmom that this does not sound like a box issues. Sounds like a design flaw with the DVR buffer in Spectrum Guide. What I don't know (yet) is how widespread, or individualized this issue is,, because if this was widespread, there would be trouble tickets all over the place about this issue.

Post back. Thanks again!

Satch

• catchtwentytwocatchtwentytwo Posts: 36 ✭✭✭✭
    Nov 14, 2021

On our World Box 210-H STBs with New Spectrum Guide, this can happen when live TV is paused, or rewound or the Back Button is used. The only way to resolve it is to fast forward to live TV or power the STB off and back on. Note: if all the STB tuners are in use, it won't happen.

The World Box URC 1160 remotes https://www.urcsupport.com/urc_product/charter-spectrum-urc1160/ have no "Live" button and older Spectrum Remotes with that button do not add that functionality on the 210 H

edited November 14 Nov 14, 2021

Thanks @catchtwentytwo ,

You have verified what I recall about this bug. Shocking that this has not been fixed, because it needs to be for sure! Let's just hope that an update can be pushed out to fix this issue because it is needed, badly! We use the back (Last Channel)) button all the time on our Cisco 9865 that runs ODN. (The old guide.) No way should customers have to fast forward back to live TV because a DVR buffer does not go to live programing properly.. I wonder if this happens on clock boxes that have been converted from ODN to Spectrum Guide?

Could a mod please change the title of this topic to something like "Spectrum Guide not returning to live programs when changing channels." so that other customers can report on this experience? Thanks!

Satch

• AlliesmomAlliesmom Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Nov 14, 2021

Thank you again.

Yes, paused, rewind and or back causes this issue on one set top box. The other set top box will experience this issue when set tv timer goes off at night (say on Channel 2). The next day the TV is still on Channel 2 but paused from the night before and fast forward is the only way to clear either of these issues. Turning the STB off or unplugging it just isn't practical.

As for the timing of how long in between unplugging, waiting a minute and turning back on - will fail almost immediately.

Anxiously awaiting a fix. Thank you for escalating this issue.

Nov 14, 2021

Satch: It is rather easy to accidently do a "partial rewind" even if not using "Back". See screenshot. Another apparent "Bug" seems to be if the "Back" button is quickly pressed multiple times, a program may rewind to when you first view it. Note: I can't consistently replicate this.

It sounds like the OP lets their TV power off with its timer. If that is the case, then the STB is left on. I suppose that it might remain on without the energy saving feature kicking on although that might be disabled in options

I'm not in the mood to waste my time reporting this on Twitter and certainly not by calling.

Nov 17, 2021

Hi all,

I know that the OP thinks it's a hindrance. But I would suggest turning off the DVR/TV at the same time with the System Button to prevent the DVR buffer from not going to live TV during a channel change. Also would say, don't use your sleep timer.

If users don't do the above operations, your DVR will be running 24x7 causing wear and tear on the hard drive and shortening its life span.

Satch

Nov 17, 2021

OP might want to look in the Menu of the New Spectrum Guide and enable Auto Power Down. I haven't tried it and it might cause unintended issues when using APPs like Netflix, HBO Max or YouTube.

Menu>Settings & Support >Preferences >Digital Receiver >Auto Power Down. If enabled, STB will shutdown after 4 hours of inactivity. Does not impact scheduled DVR recordings.

Nov 18, 2021

@catchtwentytwo ,

Thanks for the above information. I have the older Clickr Backlight remote running ODN and there is no "Back" button. The remote instructions say that the Back button on World Box remotes takes you back to the previous menu screen, so I don't see how that would affect the DVR buffering issue.

The Last button on the Clickr Backlight remote is replaced by the use of the middle button in the channel up/down button to go to the previous channel on World Box remotes. As stated, on World Box remotes there is no live button, and on Spectrum Guide, if your legacy remote has a live button it won't do anything.. All other buttons should work.

Satch