Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Internet connectivity seems to be getting worse

crystalatticecrystalattice Posts: 5 ✭✭
in Connectivity Nov 13, 2021

The Internet connection seems to be dropping off more frequently lately. The graph below shows the outage alerts I've received. Most of the problems in May were due to a failing cable modem which was replaced.

Below are the results for August through current

At first, I thought the problems were due to construction a block away, but that was early summer. Now it's autumn and the outages occur 1-2 times a week, it seems. We don't get any notifications why the outage occurred, so I don't know if this is abnormal or expected due to maintenance, upgrades, or external causes.

The outages are frequent enough to be memorable as a pattern, leading my wife to talk about changing Internet providers. As I work from home, I've had to pay more on my cellular service to have unlimited hotspot capabilities in case the Internet goes down while I'm working.

Any thoughts?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• crystalatticecrystalattice Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Nov 16, 2021 Accepted Answer

FWIW, the technician found no problems in the line. However, he did a "deep" factory reset of the modem (holding the reset for one minute). That did the trick.

Apparently, a normal reset doesn't always work, so a deep reset will completely clear everything. As such, it's one more thing to try before calling tech support.

Replies

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭
    Nov 13, 2021

Hello,

I had this same issue. The problem was my router, it was about seven years old and started dropping the Internet. (I have my own router.) The solution for me was to purchase a new router and I have not had one disconnect. If you own your router, I would recommend a Netgear router for at least $80.00 with AC range. (Get one at Amazon.)

If you rent your router, get Spectrum out to check your drop line and if necessary, to replace your router. If you go with purchasing your own router, and you still have problems, your drop line should be checked. Also, do you rent or own your modem? I would look at the process of elimination as the following:

1.) Old Router

2.) Drop line

3.) Modem

For reference, what other services if any do you have from Spectrum?

Satch

Nov 14, 2021

I bought a Google router with three remote units within the last year so I doubt it's the router. The modem is a personal purchase and validated by the technician when it was installed. I have no other Spectrum services.

• Anthony_VAnthony_V Posts: 62 MOD
    Nov 15, 2021

I was able to locate your account using the email address you used to access the Community site, I'm not seeing any signal issues to the equipment currently though the modem uptime shows it has been online for some time without a reset. While it's not necessary to do all the time if you are experiencing issues it is good to try. During the times you experience these issues have you contacted support at all to verify any issues in the area affecting services?

• Anthony
    Nov 15, 2021

I receive notifications via SMS nearly every time that an outage has occurred.

I have reset the modem recently, i.e. about the third outage ago. At that time, I completely unplugged the modem several times, for several minutes each time, as well as unplugging my router. I followed the reset procedure on the Spectrum site via my phone.

• Steph_SSteph_S Posts: 327 MOD
    edited November 15 Nov 15, 2021

Thank you for that informaiton. After review of the modem I am seeing the device offline. I do not have an area issue reported at this time. I can confirm an appointment has been scheduled for 11/16 10a-11a to look into this further and resolve the trouble that you are experiencing with the connection.

Nov 15, 2021

I was resetting the modem this morning while talking to a phone technician; it might have been at the time you checked.

As of right now, the upstream light is blinking on the modem; I have reset the modem three times and reconnected the coax cable twice.

I guess I'll see what the technician has to say tomorrow. Luckily I can tether to my phone's hotspot for work.