Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

My Internet dropped out at 2 PM

neilkarlneilkarl Posts: 1 Newcomer
in Connectivity Nov 17, 2021

I was scheduled to take the Variable Insurance and Variable Annuity exam Monday November 15 at 3:30 PM. I am taking the online exam using Spectrum Internet at 200 MBPS. I started the PSI Bridge Browser at 9 AM and ran hourly system checks and passed each one until 2 PM. The Internet crashed and I failed the system check and could not take the exam. PSI marked me absent. Last January system check cited that my Internet was too slow at 100 MBPS requiring 125 MBPS. After January I found I could upgrade to 200 MBPS, which I did. I was prevented taking the exam beyond my control. I ask for a refund of my $ 41 fee to schedule an in-person exam. I think that the problem with the Spectrum Internet is that the cable line is a shared party line. Another customer came on the Internet and swamped the line. I am not getting my moneys worth at 200 MBPS. 

Replies

• Anthony_VAnthony_V Posts: 62 Moderator
    Nov 18, 2021

Hello and welcome to the community!

Have you been experiencing intermittent disconnections recently other than this instance? I was able to locate the account using the email address used to access the Community site and did notice the modem has been online for quite some time without a reset. It may be beneficial to reset when you are able to and see if you are still experiencing any issues.

• Anthony
  • neilkarlneilkarl Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Nov 18, 2021

Reading all the current community complaints on Internet drop outs, I can see two sides of the problem.

1. I live in an apartment. One of my neighbors could turn on equipment which produces RF (Radio Frequency) interference to my modem. Or the RF could come further from a local house or business. I also had some experience with power spikes through the power line taking down computer equipment..
    2. When I lived in Livonia MI, AT&T upgraded the phone system to coax to compete with cable companies to supply phone, TV, and Internet over one cable. After installation, the line would not work. Remote trouble shooting by AT&T found that the line termination card at the switch was bad. After the technician replaced the card, everything worked fine. I used phone and Internet. The termination card could have an intermittent failure or there could be periodic RF interference.
    3. Conclusion. The problem could be at either end of the cable.

• Randy_TRandy_T Posts: 149 Moderator
    Nov 18, 2021

@neilkarl, welcome to the Spectrum Community. Great observations and analysis. I will only add as a agent who works here, when it comes to wifi interference it can be very surprising what all emits frequencies that can cause wifi signal interference. Plus, any number of things can happen inside or out with the wires, connection, equipment, etc. But the examples you provided are right on and common.

Really appreciate you taking the time to share them here.

Randy

• neilkarlneilkarl Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Nov 18, 2021

Checking for problems at home, apartment, or business. When an outage occurs:

1. To detect possible RF (Radio Frequency) interference, use an AM radio Tune between stations for the background static noise between local stations. Do this before an outage to hear what non-interference noise is. If there is RF noise during an outage, the static noise will be louder and could be in a repeating pattern, like music. The you have to figure out where it is coming from, and maybe stop it.
    2. The electrical noise or RF noise could be coming over the power line. I once purchased a low cost power line filter. You plug the device into a socket and record power line fluctuations until the outage is over. Then you plug the device into your PC USB port and look at the data. If you have electrical noise, then you have to figure where it is coming from.
    3. My dad had a fish tank with an electrical heater. When the heater came on it caused RF noise on the AM radio and the TV. Studying electrical at college, I made a simple RF filter that plugged in next to the fish tank heater and stopped the RF from getting into the power cord and radiating around the house.