Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Spectrum TV App For Roku Crashes

wickerberrywickerberry Posts: 51 Contributor

In October I posted about a problem I came across with the TV App for Roku, crashes the App when clearing viewing history and bookmarks which just started one day. I did the usual rebooted everything, reinstalling the app and updating Roku which didn't solve the problem also verified with a few other people they were seeing the same thing which lead me to believe it maybe a problem on the Spectrum side. A few days after I posted it started working correctly out of the blue without me doing anything else and stayed that way until about 10 days ago I noticed the same problem was back. It is still occurring now on devices I use which run Roku 10.0 and 10.5 plus the TV App version 7.0, 7.1 and 7.1.1. also confirmed problem with 3 other users. If one of the Spectrum moderators would ask a support person to take a look at this it would be appreciated.

Tagged:

Replies

• James_MJames_M Posts: 3,190 ADMIN
    edited December 2021 Dec 22, 2021

There are currently no known issues impacting Roku.. When was the last time this issue occurred and have you tried any other troubleshooting? When the Spectrum TV app crashes on Roku, there is an error code. Are you seeing an error code as well?

• wickerberrywickerberry Posts: 51 Contributor
    Dec 23, 2021

I tried clearing viewing history and bookmarks earlier today it completely shuts down the TV App and takes it back to the main Roku screen, there is no error code and everything else with the App seems to work fine. Hadn't seen this since October until about 2 weeks ago and tried once last week with same result. Current App version is 7.1.1 and Roku 10.5 but was previously working on same Roku version.

Dec 23, 2021

You mentioned previously that you have multiple Roku's, does this happen on all Roku's?

Dec 23, 2021

Yes I'm using the Spectrum TV App on 3 Roku devices, 2 Ultra and 1 stick all 3 are running Roku 10.5 and TV App 7.1.1 plus I asked a few other people I know using the same setup to test just to see if this maybe a wider problem beyond my devices.

The issue happens on all 3 Roku's when going to settings/clear viewing history and bookmarks choosing to clear abnormally ends the TV App back to the Roku home screen. When clearing watchlist it clears and stays in the App on the same screen, that is how clearing viewing history and bookmarks always worked and I believe how it is supposed to.

Dec 27, 2021

That is definitely odd. To clarify, are you clearing the history for the Roku or for the Spectrum TV app? Also, is there some issue you are trying resolve by clearing the history, such as buffering?

Dec 28, 2021

The problem is within the Spectrum app when clearing viewing history and bookmarks not Roku, it completely shuts down the app and back to the Roku home screen this didn't previously and should not happen nothing to do with buffering. Running versions Roku 10.5 and TV App 7.1.1 it should be easy to do apples to apples test.

Dec 28, 2021

Can you describe the steps you are taking to clear the history, so we can try to replicate the issue?

Dec 29, 2021

It should be straight forward for someone to recreate this just make sure you're using Roku 10.5 or 10.0 and TV App 7.0, 7.1 or 7.1.1.

Launch Spectrum TV App when running go to settings/clear viewing history and bookmarks/clear

It used to work like the watchlist clear which clears and stays on the same screen within the TV App not an abnormal end completely out of the TV App and back to Roku home screen.

Very easy to test this I did it with 3 other people got the same result.

Dec 29, 2021

Thanks for the information. Testing on two Roku devices, including a Roku Stick 3810x (running 10.5, 7.1.1), I was unable to replicate the issue. I tried clearing the viewing history first, then tried again reversing the order. Neither time resulted in the app crashing.

I also reached out to the app team and there have been no similar reported issues. The suggestion offered was that it is possible the app either crashed or reset coincidentally at the same time the history was being cleared. If you see the issue happen again, post a reply as soon as possible with the date and time the issue happened so we can investigate further and alert the app team. We can check our diagnostics and report back to the app team.

Regarding the others you have spoke with that have experienced the same issue, please ask them to post a comment to this thread. This will allows us to check their diagnostics as well.

Thanks!

Jan 02, 2022

Thank you for your help and for testing it sounds like you ran on the same setup I have.

I tried again today about 2 hours ago and got the same problem on the 3 Roku devices, TV App crashed when clearing viewing history and bookmarks. Deleted and reinstalled the TV App again but had the same result. Was able to contact one of my testers and the problem was still there for them.

If the app support team has other suggestions that would be good and possibly they could test it on their end.

• Heather_THeather_T Posts: 31 Moderator
    Jan 03, 2022

Thanks. Would you mind trying to delete the app again then unplug the modem for about 20 seconds to reboot and re-install the app? Let us know if this is still happening after the reboot.

Jan 06, 2022

Yes, I've previously tried rebooting the modem. From what I can tell everything works correctly on the TV App which is good except the crash when clearing viewing history on Roku devices. As I mentioned earlier the same thing happened this past October for about 1 week then started working again with no App crash when clearing viewing history without me doing anything at all, it stayed that way until about 3 weeks ago. I'm glad I can still watch TV without any issues I'm just reporting this because after my testing at home and with a few others outside my area I suspect this issue is not local to my setup.