Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Home network security issues

justmythingstodojustmythingstodo Posts: 2 Spectator
edited January 21 in Home Networking Dec 23, 2021

I had recently had someone hack into my cameras and all of my devices. I am not sure how they did it but every time after I would set it up any camera system it would become unavailable to me ever again and all of my devices have been hacked. I was even told by spectrum eventually that the router I had when they came to pick it up was not the one that was issued to me even though I never changed it out. He would not let me keep it though. I need to find out who can help me find out if anything has ever been done in my name such as my spectrum email being accessed since I was never able to set it up and every time I would get locked out of my spectrum account, not be able to access my spectrum app or even download it when It was removed from my device. I need to figure out anything I can as far as traffic and what devices have used my network in the past. for months I could not use my internet properly or at all. I feel even greater crimes may have been committed since someone appreared to be using my cameras and leaving me unable to view or alter them. over and over I had various issues and apple and Samsung have both told me to go to the cops repeatedly when they see what has been done to my devices but the cops say I need proof myself so I'm finding out what I can do is easier to do in writing since its tough for me to explain over the phone right now since I've had so many issues but if anyone at spectrum can read this and give me a contact email so I can see what I can possibly do to figure out as much as I can I would appreciate it! Thank you!!

Replies

• Randy_SRandy_S Posts: 185 Moderator
    edited December 2021 Dec 23, 2021

Welcome to Spectrum Community @justmythingstodo. You cover a lot of ground so I am going to break it up into the two topics I see and respond to each one. It sounds like you have had a rough go of it and I would be glad to help.

Home Networking

We do not log your traffic, so finding out who accessed your modem, if someone did, isn't something we could provide. However, our modem's firewall, and background system, are very secure, so I doubt it was a weakness with the equipment. That's not to say you didn't get malware, phishing, or that type of thing via an email link or ad link you might have gotten somewhere along the line that infected one or more of your devices. That said, for home networking and security issues, you would be best served, and I would recommend having a local tech professional or some outfit like the Geek Squad help. They can scan/clean your computer hard drive (and any other devices you may have.) They can also help regain access to your cameras and call the camera's manufacturer. More often than not, if something happened, it is malware or a computer virus and not an individual just taking over your equipment. Regardless, a local tech professional is probably your best and most efficient option for that part of your concerns and security.

Your Spectrum Account

To make sure I am on the same page. Do you think someone you did not authorize has access to your account with us? Or is someone impersonating you? We were able to find an account with your Community login information and don't see a record of your calling in specifically about a potential security breach or fraud. Is that what you think may have happened? If so, here is a link on the next steps with suspected ID theft or fraud https://www.spectrum.net/support/general/scam-and-fraud-alerts, and https://www.spectrum.net/support/manage-account/reporting-id-theft . Of course, you can call us any time. While the agents wouldn't be able to help with your home network or third-party equipment, we can certainly ensure your account is in order.

After all that....

After the local tech is able to look at your system and equipment, they may discover something useful for the cops or more likely put some of your fears to rest. And of course the support link I sent is very thorough in the process of reporting any kind of fraud. It may be quickest to call us at 1-855-707-7328 to make sure your account is in good order but of course we can go into private messaging and discuss that there. Let me know what you would prefer.

It's a pleasure to meet you and thanks for the opportunity to help.

Randy

• justmythingstodojustmythingstodo Posts: 2 Spectator
    Dec 24, 2021

I did express to the technician that I was having issues but he did not offer to look at the router itself for me. When I contacted you guys on the phone about the problem I was told I was not using the modem given to me. I don't know if I can somehow get documentation of this? And I believe it was someone close. Possibly even the family of my fiancé as they have the money to do things like this and have tried to force me out of her life for a l long time. I am hoping it was not her herself but she did not have authorization to do anything on it and this was specifically expressed since the beginning since I have had recurring problems. What sucks is the technician already took the router and if it was one not given to me by you guys I don't see how he had the right to take it anyways especially when I told him I wanted it to go to the police in order to find out what was going on.

For a long time I tried to make an email with your email system an d it wouldn't let me. Are you able to tell me if one has been made in the past? Maybe beat me to it?

When you say you can't tell me anything about downtime are you able to at least tell me what router I was using and at what times it actually had any traffic at all?

Are you guys able to tell me whenever there were password changes to the router? Including admin passwords to the router? Because I always found my devices worked until I would suddenly get locked out of my devices.

Also as far as the app goes is there any. information as far as what phones used the app to access the account? I

Sorry for so many questions but I am trying to get to the bottom of this asap! My priivacy and ability to use any device properly has been taken from me and I am fighting to get it back and not getting any help that actually helps. Everyone I seek help from just seems to make it harder for me such as with the technician who despite me impressing the fact it was important to me to get the information off of the router said he could not leave it because he already put it under his name, once again when possibly it wasn't even your guys router or the one you gave me. If ou could give me a number for the specific question of finding out which routers were used on my account that would be helpful. I also realized we had a cable running from inside to a neighbors house so I 'm not sure how it would go about releasing information if lets say a neighbor had somehow been forcing me to use their internet because at one time I realized the internet didn't work then connected it to one of the other cables in the house right beside it and it worked again only to later see it ran off towards the neighboring apartments and as crazy as this sounds my fiancé's family has owned apartment complexes we have lived in and has the money to do just about an thing they want and they have literally tried to force me to leave her over and over.

• Paul_BPaul_B Posts: 435 Moderator
    Dec 24, 2021

Thank you for reaching back out. I am going to try to address each of your questions one by one. When you have tried to make an email address, can you tell us what happened when you tried to do so? Did you receive any error messages? If so, what were they? We would not be able to tell you if anything was made in the past.

We are going to be very limited with what we can tell you regarding devices that have been added to your account. This is for account security purposes. We also do not monitor your traffic, so we would not be able to provide any information regarding traffic on that particular device. I apologize.

We do not keep a record of password changes to your router. If you feel someone has access to your account via the My Spectrum app, I would strongly recommend that you change the password to something very strong that would make it difficult for someone to guess. It is also recommended that if you feel someone might be impersonating you, to report any suspicious activity to your local authorities as well as completing the forms that were linked above so we can do any necessary investigations on our end.

Thank you.

Paul_B

This discussion has been closed.