Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Why am I getting a popup message on my TV "To continue watching this channel press any key." ?

debodundebodun Posts: 72 Contributor
in TV Equipment Jan 12, 2022

I've had a new cable box since Dec 27 and today it first happened.

Replies

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,384 Contributor
    Jan 12, 2022

What's up @debodun ?

Have some questions.

1.) What model box is this? Is it running the new Spectrum Guide?

2.) How long are you watching TV before this occurs? Or is it random?

3.) Does the issue occur only on some channels and not others?

4.) Have you disabled the "Power Saver Mode", which is programmed to display a message to turn off the box after four hours of inactivity (staying on the same channel) when turned on?

Satch

• debodundebodun Posts: 72 Contributor
    Jan 12, 2022

1) Cisco 4742HDC, but I'm not sure what it's running.

2) It only occurred once and that was this morning.

3) So far, just once.

4) I don't have it programmed to shut off.

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,384 Contributor
    edited January 12 Jan 12, 2022

@debodun,

Early indications might be that you were watching a "Switched Digital Video" channel. Some Spectrum markets use this technology commonly known as SDV to add channels to a system without the need to increase bandwidth.

Since bandwidth is not increased on an SDV channel, there are a certain number of spaces or "slots" that are available on an SDV channel. SDV cable systems may from time to time throw up that message when the available SDV slots are full. Saying, to the "network" OK, we need to send a signal to the box (remote key press) to let the network know you want to continue watching this channel". If you don't press the key, the SDV spot gets opened up to someone else in your node.

The other way that SDV works is lets say that a bunch of people in your node all decide to watch an SDV channel for a show, at a certain time, and a whole bunch of boxes in your node tune to that channel at that time. If those spots or spaces are "Maxed out" you might get a "Channel Not Available" message, and if you have DVR service, the station won't record at that time.

The only way to abandon this problem is for CATV systems to choose to increase bandwidth in their nodes. Not all Spectrum systems use SDV. If your node's head-end doesn't have the bandwidth in certain cities, they have to use SDV with those available slots to add channels and programing.

Satch

• debodundebodun Posts: 72 Contributor
    Jan 13, 2022

Thanks for the answer. That is something I didn't know.