Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Why is DVR image quality still so bad?

gregravengregraven Posts: 3 Spectator
edited May 16 in Suggestions & Feedback Feb 15, 2022

We've had Spectrum streaming TV service on our Apple TV appliances for more than a year. For more than a year we've been complaining about lousy picture quality on DVR content. Never have we received any type of response. For awhile the issues seemed to be getting better, but after a year -- just when our sign-up bonus ran out -- matters again became worse. We're getting glitches, freezes, noise, and occasionally we've unable to play the last few minutes of a show. Also, the thumbnail images when scrubbing through a show (typically, to get around the commercials) are pretty accurate toward the beginning of a show by after the half-way point they can be as much as 10 seconds off. Content delivered by Apple or streaming from another computer on our network exhibits none of these issues. If Spectrum no longer wants us as customers, just say so: Let us out of our contract and we're go our separate ways. This slow torture is misery. On paper, Spectrum streaming TV service looks great. I'd stay after our contract runs out if you can fix the issues we're having.

Replies

• Heather_THeather_T Posts: 115 Moderator
    Feb 15, 2022

Hello @gregraven. Welcome to the Community!

I can definitely see how frustrating this must be and do want to make sure the service is working properly for you. Can you tell me if you've tried any of the troubleshooting steps found at Spectrum TV App Troubleshooting https://www.spectrum.net/support/tv/spectrum-tv-app-troubleshooting ? Have the modem and router been rebooted recently?

• gregravengregraven Posts: 3 Spectator
    edited February 21 Feb 15, 2022

No, we have not rebooted the modem and/or router recently. However, we have repeatedly followed these troubleshooting steps in the past with absolutely no improvement in the situation. Therefore, I have concluded that the issue is not with our modem or router, but with the service itself. Furthermore, given the number of devices we typically have connected at any given time, taking down the network to accommodate Spectrum's version of power-cycling everything is neither easy nor convenient.

• HdfxrsHdfxrs Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Mar 23, 2022

Our quality is fine during the day, but is unwatchable after about 8 pm. Same on Apple TV, Roku or iPad. Have tried all the troubleshooting steps. Spectrum techs can see the problem on their end, but don’t have a solution.

• James_MJames_M Posts: 3,493 ADMIN
    edited March 25 Mar 25, 2022

@Hdfxrs

Hi and welcome!

Sorry for any issues. You mentioned troubleshooting, what troubleshooting have you tried? Also, which device are you using and when was the last time you restarted the modem?

• gregravengregraven Posts: 3 Spectator
    Mar 25, 2022

James_M -- I may not understand what you mean by troubleshooting, but these issues occur at our main residence, at our vacation place, when we're on the road at a hotel or motel, etc. They occur on different Apple TV 4K devices. Clearly, the modem could only be an issue when we are at home, so I don't think the modem is the problem. I'm hoping that neither the Apple TV 4K nor Spectrum's programming for the Apple TV is the issue, because we were sold the service based on buying another Apple TV 4K device.

As for he modem, we have had sporadic power outages at home, which "restarts" the modem and everything else in the house. The Spectrum TV streaming quality is never any better after these events than before.

• James_MJames_M Posts: 3,493 ADMIN
    Mar 25, 2022

@gregraven

CloudDVR and the tv app is associated to you account through the modem. Issues with the modem can definitely cause connection issue that result in poor video quality. I've included a link to troubleshooting that outlines a few things to try including:

1. Have your tried deleting and reinstalling the app?
    2. Are you getting an error code or error message?
    3. Have you tried restarting the modem and/or router? (restarting again is highly recommended)
    4. Are you using the current version of the app and is your device's OS updated?
    5. Have you tried restarting the device? (Mobile device, Roku, Apple TV)

If the above steps do not resolve the issue, then please test the cloudDVR on another device, such as a smart phone or a tablet. Let us know what happens. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.