Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Internet drops every day for about 5 min

kjlasalakjlasala Posts: 7 Newcomer
edited March 23 in Connectivity Feb 17, 2022

For the last month or so, everyday between 2pm and 5 pm the internet drops out for about 5 minutes. Wifi still shows connected but there is no internet signal. Today went into the Spectrum app when it was happening and it just spun and spun and then connected and everything was back to normal. This is hugely disruptive as that is peak time for work Zoom calls and they keep getting dropped.

Not WiFi/router related - still drops for hardwired connections.

Our house is new - lines were just installed in December so I'd be shocked if that was the issue especially since it self-resolves.

Any ideas? I really don't want to spend an hour on the phone with level 1 tech support having me reboot my system and plug things in.

Replies

• Heather_THeather_T Posts: 114 Moderator
    Feb 17, 2022

Hello @kjlasala. Welcome to the Community!

That's definitely frustrating and we do want to make sure you have a stable connection. I did take a look at your modem data using your registration information and am seeing some signal issues/errors that should be addressed. I'm going to send you a private message to gather some additional information and make sure we have this corrected for you.

• kjlasalakjlasala Posts: 7 Newcomer
    Feb 20, 2022

For the last month or so, everyday between 2pm and 5 pm the internet drops out for about 5 minutes. Wifi still shows connected but there is no internet signal. Today went into the Spectrum app when it was happening and it just spun and spun and then connected and everything was back to normal. This is hugely disruptive as that is peak time for work Zoom calls and they keep getting dropped.

Not WiFi/router related - still drops for hardwired connections.

Our house is new - lines were just installed in December so I'd be shocked if that was the issue especially since it self-resolves.

Any ideas? I really don't want to spend an hour on the phone with level 1 tech support having me reboot my system and plug things in.

Feb 20, 2022

@Heather_T - forgot to tag you! Thanks!

• Heather_THeather_T Posts: 114 Moderator
    Feb 21, 2022

@kjlasala You're very welcome! Please let us know how everything goes!

• NancyKNancyK Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Feb 22, 2022

@Heather_T I am @kjlasala's neighbor. Our home was built in 2007, but over the last year we have had the identical problem to theirs and have had service here a couple of times. We too have our service drop out every single day, typically between 3-5 pm, and I must reboot the router to reconnect. The last time Spectrum service came out they indicated the problem was at the street and that someone would come out and fix it. It did get better for a while, but in the last 3-4 months the problem returned. I do not have the patience to try to get through over the phone so am piggy-backing on my neighbor's post.

• NancyKNancyK Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Feb 22, 2022

I live in the same neighborhood. I had the same problem a few months ago. When I called, the connection was checked remotely, and everything looked good. My modem/router was blamed for it. That was not it. The problem persisted. Called again. After the third call, a technician came and checked the connection. Sure enough, it was a problem at the street connection, or somewhere on the lines outside the house. Linesmen came and worked on it. The problem went away for a month or two. It is back! I have to reboot almost everyday. (This is NancyK's husband's version)

Feb 22, 2022

Npt WiFi/router related - still drops for hardwired connections.

Feb 22, 2022

So our tech came this morning, replaced the modem and said an outside person would be here, most likely between 12am-6am for outside line work. A little while a guy came, went into the outside box and left. Now we have no internet and the box is still open but he drove off like 20 minutes ago. This is worse than it was. Can someone provide an update?

Feb 22, 2022

This is how the box was left.

Feb 22, 2022

Nevermind - he's back now!

• jbriancrowjbriancrow Posts: 3 Spectator
    Feb 22, 2022

We have the same problem, except it is not just between 2pm and 5pm. It is every day at least 10 times a day. It is an outside line issue to the house as we have replaced the modem and router and followed all of Spectrum's recommendations. Very difficult to work from home when the internet drops. Streaming TV is worthless as we can't even get though a program without a drop and having to wait for it to come back. Spectrum! Please fix it. This has been going on for a long time and nothing is being done. At least now our phone does not loose connection anymore.

• James_MJames_M Posts: 3,493 ADMIN
    Feb 22, 2022

@jbriancrow

Sorry for any issues. What troubleshooting have you tried? When was your last service call?

Feb 22, 2022

We got a new modem from spectrum a few months ago which resolved the telephone issue. We also purchased a new router. We have called several times to notify Spectrum of the issue, but so far no one as come to look. The last time we called, they upgraded our service and said they hoped that would compensate us for the trouble. Fast service is no good when there is no service. When service drops, I use by cell phone to log into the account to verify that there is no connection to the modem. It usually drops for about 5 min and then comes back. It does this many times a day and there is not consistency to the frequency of drops. I called customer service a few weeks ago, but I can't remember when the last time someone actually came to the house. (although we have requested it several times).

Feb 22, 2022

Thanks. Are you connecting wired or wireless? If wireless, what happens when you connect directly to the modem? When was the last time you restarted the modem and router? If you can access modem logs, can you post the diagnostics?

• JGwinnerJGwinner Posts: 3 Newcomer
    Feb 22, 2022

I've been having a lot of problems too.

DHCP drops on the modem. The upstream router is pingable, but nothing past that - so it's clearly not within my house or equipment. My IP address changes to a 192.168.1.1 number.

Then after about an hour, everything magically comes back.

I have two modems, one a voice modem, the other just a regular Internet modem, and the voice modem will hold on a tad longer, then it goes too.

I contacted customer support and they told me:

1. They have no trouble logs
    2. They don't keep track of outages.
    3. They have no root cause analysis.
    4. They can't trace the lines or anything else.
    5. If I'm having a problem, they can walk me through rebooting my router. (I already have done that, etc.) and further troubleshooting - ONLY when I'm having the problem.
    6. Three times over the last week and a business disruption doesn't concern them at all.
    7. I'm happy to go talk to Verizon 5G after 22 years with Spectrum.

Sigh. Something is going on because both modems, and the upstream routers went out three times now - and the IP address I've had for 21 years I lost. Hey, it's DHCP, I get it, but still - seems weird.

So anyone switch to 5G or Starlink?

This is the Torrance area.

Feb 22, 2022

I use WIFI in the house. I have not tried connecting directly to the modem. I'll be happy to provide modem logs. How to I access them? I am sure this is not an issue between the router and endpoints in my network. Internet connectivity drops and when it does, the spectrum site also shows there is not a connection to the modem. My modem is the Hitron E31N2V1 device.

• JGwinnerJGwinner Posts: 3 Newcomer
    Feb 22, 2022

@James_M How can we access the Spectrum modem logs? Would love to look at those.

I had to call tech support - chat was next to useless - and got two good people. We removed my customer-owned DOCSIS 3.0 modem and moved the voice modem (long story) upstairs, and reconfigured it for Interent access as well as voice.

It's DOCSIS 3.1, your Hitron EN2251, but much slower. The Older Arris modem was getting 112Mbps and about 11.72 up, 14ms ping, the new modem is quicker at 11ms ping, but slower at 70.81 download and 5.79Mbps upload.

I don't want to pay for a piece of equipment that gives me a worse connection. So, I'm not convinced that the problem was that I had a DOCSIS 3.0 modem.

I guess I will have to wait until it fails and my boss calls on my cell phone asking me why I'm not on the Zoom call :)

Or, I go into work and risk COVID positive status ... heh.

== John ==

Feb 24, 2022

@JGwinner

Sorry for any issues. Since you continue to have issues after swapping the modem, it could be the modem itself or there could be an issue with the signal. When was the last time you had a service call to have a technician check the internet signal?

Feb 24, 2022

@jbriancrow

I was able to locate your account. It looks like the modem has been online for 16 days. Can you start by restarting the modem and testing again on a direct connect top the modem?

This discussion has been closed.