Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

What is causing issues on the spectrum app using Roku ultra?

DbwilliDbwilli Posts: 15 Participant
edited May 24 in Spectrum TV App Feedback for Other Devices Apr 06, 2022

What is causing continued picture lock ups and pixelation on spectrum app using Roku ultra?

Best Answer

• James_MJames_M Posts: 3,493 ADMIN
    Apr 06, 2022 Answer ✓

Hi and thanks for posting!

Freezing and pixilation with the Spectrum TV app on Roku usually points to a connection issue. A good place to start is to power cycle the modem and the Roku. If the issue continues, then try deleting the app from the Roku and reinstalling the app to ensure the most recent, updated version is installed.

If the issue is not resolved, please let us know.

Replies

• DbwilliDbwilli Posts: 15 Participant
    Apr 08, 2022

Sorry to say, picture and audio still lock up, goes out of sync, and pixelization is still occurring. This only occurs on the TV’s, all other devices seem fine. I unplugged both the modem and the Roku yesterday and watched today and we still have the problem.

A little history.. We switched to Spectrum streaming about 5 weeks ago and have had this annoying problem from the beginning. Servicemen have been here twice since and find our internet speed and connection all good and of course, picture is fine then. We have removed and reinstalled the app, updated software on the TV and Roku. I started out with new Roku 4K streaming sticks. When none of the above fixes worked, I bought a Roku Ultra and tried it to no avail. We like the programs but can’t live with these continuing interruptions. Help is greatly appreciated!

• William_MWilliam_M Posts: 247 Moderator
    Apr 08, 2022

Is this impacting only Live TV, or is video on demand/cDVR content having this issue as well? Are you able to test this with a Roku in the same room as the router and/or connect your Roku Ultra with an ethernet cable so we can rule out any possible issues with the WiFi?

Apr 09, 2022

It happens in all three scenarios but seems worse during cDVR playback. We did some testing today and found that the downstairs LG tv which is closest to modem/router only had it happen only on cDVR. Live and on demand did not have any pixilation. The main level Samsung tv with the Roku Ultra seems to be worse…

We have Roku’s on all tv’s. Also, these problems have only occurred on the spectrum channel.

edited April 9 Apr 09, 2022

If the TV closer to the router is having fewer problems it could be an indication it's an issue with the wireless connection. Radio signals often do not flow very well between separate floors and as you move further away from the router you will switch from 5Ghz to 2.4Ghz WiFi, which has better range but is slower and prone to radio interference.

Is the downstairs TV in the same room as the router/can you get it any closer or hook up the Roku Ultra with an ethernet cable to see if the remaining cDVR problems clear up? If we can verify the problem does not occur close to the router, or ideally connected with an ethernet cable, we can focus on improving your WiFi connection.

By spectrum channel do you mean the Spectrum TV app, or a specific channel within the app?

• LGTLGT Posts: 138 Contributor
    Apr 09, 2022

The other thing you can do is go to the settings menu in your Roku then go to Network then to About. This page should give you a description of your network connection to the internet. It should also give you a vague description of your signal strength. By vague I mean it is not a numerical number but a bad, good, excellent type description. It will also tell you your download speed. You can retest these by hitting the Check Connection button and it will recheck those readings to give you the most current numbers.

Looking at these results could help you narrow down the cause of your problems. If your signal strength is not good or excellent, you probably have a WiFi problem and you could try moving your router to get a better signal. If your download speed is poor you could have a problem with your internet and should look at that or have Spectrum come out.

Apr 10, 2022

We have had pixelization and screen lock ups happen only on the spectrum app. Regarding cDVR playback, I don’t understand how cloud dvr records a program off site and the playback shows pixelization and poor picture at the same spot in the program on all our tvs? How can this be caused by our local internet connection? The servicemen could not answer this for me…

The tv down stairs is not in the same room as the router and modem and I would need to purchase approximately 75’ of ethernet cable to test this out. The bottom line is that I’m not interested in running ethernet cable to my upstairs tv’s. Would trying a wi fi extender accomplish similar result? At least I could send it back if it didn’t solve the problem.

Apr 10, 2022

Also, my roku wifi connection shows “excellent” and speed is 218

Apr 10, 2022

If the problems with cDVR are happening in the exact same spot when viewing a recording multiple times with different Rokus I agree it's probably not an issue with the internet. How frequently is that occurring? Does it happen on all recorded programs on all channels?

Apr 10, 2022

It is happening on all channels that we watch. On average, every program we record and watch has some sort of quality issue occur at least once. Sometimes numerous occurrences. This happens on live and on-demand viewing but not near as often.

Apr 12, 2022

@Dbwilli

When this happens, do you ever see an error code? If so, which error code?

Apr 12, 2022

No error codes. The picture momentarily gets scrambled lines or screen freezes. Sometimes the sound gets out of synch when screen locks up and we have to restart the app to correct it.

Apr 12, 2022

Thanks,

Do you have a different device, such as a smartphone or tablet, that you can use as a test to see if you can replicate the issue?

Apr 12, 2022

I have not experienced any of these issues on iPads or cellphone while on the Spectrum app. Only on the tv’s with Roku’s do we have the problems.

Apr 13, 2022

To be clear, Roku’s are on all of our tv’s..

Apr 13, 2022

Since the issue is happening only on Roku and not on the other devices tested, it is likely an issue with the Roku itself. Please try doing a System Restart from the System menu on the Roku. You may also need to restart the modem again. If this does not work, then you can try a factory reset. Please keep in mind though that a factory reset will return the Roku to an "out of the box" status and any apps, settings or passwords will need to be reconfigured.

Apr 13, 2022

I have done restarts on all the TV’s, Roku’s, modem and router. I have checked and made sure all Roku’s software is current. Though we continue to have issues during live and on demand, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, the cdvr playback is the worst. Recorded episodes have pixelization and/or screen locks that appear at the same place on all tv’s and iPads. How can this be a problem with my Roku’s if the recorded videos are corrupted off site? Is there anything else that can be done to fix this?

Please let me know if this is as good as it gets so I can stop wasting time and look into other options.

Apr 14, 2022

I understand this is frustrating, however it something that can be resolved and usually with a few easy steps. To add a point of clarification, the cloudDVR recordings are stored offsite in the cloud, however the actual recording is from the app stream based on your account and authentication credentials from your devices that are tied directly to your modem. This allows you to manage your recordings from your devices. Issues with the connection on your modem will definitely impact the quality of the cloudDVR recordings.

You indicated the issue is freezing and pixilation, primarily on the Roku's that are installed on the TV, and is worse on cloud DVR on one tv. I was able to locate your account based on your registration information. The signals levels are fine, but there is significant buffering. This points to either an issue with the Roku, the wifi signal or some other interference.

While it may feel repetitive, restarting the modem usually resolves connection issues. A system restart of the Roku will clear out any old information in the Roku and help the Roku re-establish the connection to the modem. It the issue continues after another restart of the modem and system restart of the Roku, then the next step would be to rule out other devices that can cause interference.

The source of interference may include devices that use the 2.4ghz frequency, such as cordless phones, microwaves or security cameras. Streaming live TV is more sensitive than streaming OnDemand content, so it is not unusual to see an issue on the Spectrum App and not on other apps when interference is the issue. There may also be an issue with the WiFi signal traveling to the TV / Roku. Things like metal (blinds / doors), brick or concrete can interrupt or block the WiFi signal strength. Testing the different TV's and Roku's by moving them to the location near the router will help identify if the issue is WiFi interference related.

The modem on your account has been online for six days as of today. Please try restarting the modem and router again, as well as following the steps for a system restart of the Roku outlined above. If the issue continues, please try replicating the issue by swapping the different Roku devices and testing each one on the TV closest to the router, and let us know the results.

Thanks!

Apr 16, 2022

Ok, per your direction, I have restarted the modem and router again, removed the Roku Ultra and replaced with the Roku 4K streaming sticks and checked the visual performance of each. On each device the network connection status showed “excellent” and the speed on each showed a minimum of 220 mbps and again we still experienced pixelization and screen freeze on all 3 Roku’s. Then I reinstalled the Ultra and ran an Ethernet cable to it instead of the wireless connection and we still got the pixelization, screen/sound freeze and buffering. Out of desperation, I removed the cable and installed a Wi-Fi booster, knowing the cable should have ruled out a wireless connection problem. (This was suggested by a Spectrum tech if problems continued) Sure enough, we still have pixelization, screen/sound freeze, and buffering. We have had Spectrum tech’s here 3 times checking connections and each one said signal and connections from outside were all good. If this is correct, out of a process of elimination, wouldn’t this indicate a defect in the router or modem? How can I get these replaced?

I really appreciate the time spent giving me some direction / help. We have invested a lot of time and expense to make this work but we are kind at the end of our rope. We understand that streaming is different but what we are experiencing is not just an occasional interruption. It’s in every show we watch whether it is live, on demand or recorded.

• Renee_TRenee_T Posts: 254 Moderator
    Apr 16, 2022

Thank you for trying. There are a few options available for exchanging the equipment. We can set up to have new equipment mailed out to you or if you have a Spectrum store nearby, the equipment can be exchanged in the store as well.

I did notice in looking at the router a little more that the Roku devices specifically seem to be switching bands from the 2G to the 5G network, which could be contributing to the issue. If you'd like we can also run an optimization on the router for you to see if that helps stabilize things for you.

Apr 16, 2022

Your help is appreciated. Not sure what that means regarding the Roku’s switching bands means or how that effects performance. If running an optimization would help improve our viewing experience, please proceed and advise is I need to do anything on this end.

Spectrum store is nearby and I can definitely take equipment there to swap. What is the procedure for doing this if need be?

thanks

Apr 16, 2022

The router broadcasts both a 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz network, those are the different bands. The router switches you between these networks depending on which is providing the better signal, but when it switches it can cause a momentary disruption and if it is switching you to the 2.4Ghz that can cause speed reductions. I will run the optimization, if it continues to happen you can definitely exchange the router at a Spectrum store just by bringing it to the store and asking for a replacement.

Apr 16, 2022

Sounds good, thank you. What exactly takes place when you run optimization?

• Renee_TRenee_T Posts: 254 Moderator
    Apr 17, 2022

The router itself would change the thresholds for wireless channel changes due to interference to lessen that and seek to more permanently assign devices that consistently use higher bandwidth use to the 5G as opposed to letting it fluctuate between those bands to try to stabilize the connection more.

Apr 17, 2022

If I understand this correctly, the router will be adjusted to reduce these channel changes and stay more in the higher 5G bandwidth. What actually causes the interference and need for the router to switch these bandwidths back and forth? Is there something that can be done to lessen the interference? I hope this optimization hasn’t taken place yet as we are watching a program that has pixelated 4 or 5 times within past 30 minutes…

Apr 17, 2022

2.4Ghz and 5Ghz are the different bands. Each band has a range of radio channels it can use to broadcast on. The optimization checks which channels other nearby networks and wireless appliances are using and changes your router to the least used ones. 2.4Ghz WiFi has 12 channel options but only 3 which do not overlap with each other, if there are more than 3 2.4Ghz networks or other appliances using a 2.4Ghz signal then channels will need to be shared and can lead to slow downs or disconnects. 2.4Ghz can give enough speed for a video stream under optimal conditions (usually up to 50 Mb/s), but if it is sharing a channel the speed can drop suddenly when the other network/appliance is in use. 5Ghz WiFi was designed to help fix that problem, it has much higher maximum speed and 24 non-overlapping channels giving you a much better chance of having a channel all to yourself, but it has shorter range so even with the optimization if you are not close to the router you may still be switched to the 2.4Ghz WiFi.

Unfortunately what you can do to minimize interference is limited as you cannot control your neighbors networks or appliances. Appliances that use a 2.4Ghz signal include things like cordless phones, garage door openers, baby monitors, and microwaves. It is a very commonly used frequency range and those 3 channels are often congested. If you have anything like that in your home near the router, moving it away can help reduce some interference. Any electronics at all or anything with a reflective surface should also be moved away from the router.

You can maximize your WiFi range, so that you can remain connected to 5Ghz WiFi, by making sure your router is in an open, elevated, and centrally located area. You want to minimize any obstructions between the router and your Roku or other devices. Anything reflective, with an electric current, or very dense materials such as metal, water, heavy wood or stone can block the signal or weaken it greatly. If the router is on a different floor than where you most frequently use the service you might consider having it moved, or getting one of our WiFi pods or your own WiFi extender.

The optimization has already been completed. Is the pixelization occurring on the Roku near the router or the one on a separate floor? I highly recommend doing any testing on the Roku near the router, or ideally temporarily moving the Roku Ultra to the TV near the router and connecting it with an ethernet cable. If it is working better right next to the router or with ethernet that will tell us it is a WiFi issue.

Apr 17, 2022

If you read my comments earlier in this stream you’ll see that I have already connected my roku ultra with an Ethernet cable and we still had pixelization and screen freeze. If what you stated above is correct, this is not a wireless problem.

if not a wireless problem, what is causing this? Also, I have since tried a Wi-Fi extender and this hasn’t solved the problem either..

• Steph_SSteph_S Posts: 405 Moderator
    edited April 18 Apr 18, 2022

I have sent you a private message from our @Community_Help handle to schedule a service call. Please reply to that private message and so we can confirm some additional information and get the service call scheduled.

This discussion has been closed.