Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Blocked phone #s still get through?

AntDudeAntDude Posts: 120 Contributor
edited May 10 in Digital Phone Apr 13, 2022

I told CallGuard to block, but phone calls still allow through even though their caller IDs say "Spam Risk". Shouldn't they be blocked period (no rings)? They used to not ring in the past. Did something change/break something?

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon.

Replies

• Heather_THeather_T Posts: 114 Moderator
    Apr 14, 2022

Hello @AntDude.

I know all to well how annoying and frustrating these calls can be. Call Guard is continuously updated to weed out known telemarketing calls but unfortunately with the significant uptick lately and increasing numbers not all are immediately recognized. An "Unknown" number will show up on your caller id as Spam Risk as a way to warn you that this may be a spam or telemarketing call. If you haven't already done so, you can register your number on the National Do Not Call list by submitting your information online at https://www.donotcall.gov or by calling 1-888-382-1222.

-Heather

• AntDudeAntDude Posts: 120 Contributor
    Apr 14, 2022

Well, I did block specific numbers but they still got through.

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,571 Contributor
    Apr 14, 2022

Sup @AntDude?

We used to get the Spam Risk messages, but not anymore. Are the Spam Risk numbers able to leave messages? If they are, you can also set up Nomorobo to work with Call Guard. It really helps! Here are the instructions for doing that:

https://community.spectrum.net/discussion/169227/yes-you-can-still-use-nomorobo-with-spectrum-call-guard#latest

Remember that Call Guard needs the phone to ring once to screen the call before dropping the call. (Hanging up on the spammer/telemarketer.) If Call Guard is blocking calls correctly the phone should not ring at all. I don't think the phone should even ring for Spam Risk calls. But I could be wrong about this.

Occasionally, with both Call Guard and Nomorobo activated, a call gets through. But it is effective about 90% of the time.

@Heather_T Years ago, we tried that national Do Not Call Registry list. But that is now a joke. The spammers just work around that. It's better to use the Spectrum Phone Number Report form to report misdirected calls:

Satch

This discussion has been closed.