Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Frequently Asked Questions

(Quick links to the current most searched topics)
How can I pause and rewind live TV using the Spectrum TV app?
Spectrum TV App Supported Devices

Can I add residential telephone service without a Spectrum modem?

5thGen5thGen Posts: 2 Spectator
edited May 24 in Home Networking Apr 20, 2022

Hello,

I'm trying to provide home phone service without a Spectrum modem, which have proven too easy for hackers to corrupt. As I understand it, there are no third-party modems in production that have been certified by Spectrum for telephony. I'm currently using a Netgear CM700 modem.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Best Answer

• LGTLGT Posts: 141 Contributor
    Apr 20, 2022 Answer ✓

No. To get home phone service you must use a Spectrum supplied modem. If you use your own modem for internet service Spectrum will supply you with a separate voice only modem. That was the setup I had until I finally got rid of their home phone service. Sorry, no work arounds.

Replies

• James_MJames_M Posts: 3,778 ADMIN
    Apr 20, 2022

Hi @5thGen,

I'll just add that this is a FCC requirement in order for us to provide digital phone service to customers. This is why, as @LGT pointed out, there are no work arounds for this requirement. Thanks for the question!

• 5thGen5thGen Posts: 2 Spectator
    Apr 20, 2022

Thank you @LGT and @James_M for your responses.

@James_M: How can I obtain a voice only modem from Spectrum, as mentioned in @LGT 's comment? What number should I call?

Godspeed

• James_MJames_M Posts: 3,778 ADMIN
    edited April 20 Apr 20, 2022

When you call to add voice service, just specify that you want a separate modem. You should also plan to let the technicain know that installs the modem that you prefer to have a separate modem, since they are typically combined by default.

If you already have the internet / voice combo unit, the easiest way to add to a voice only modem is visit a local store.

This discussion has been closed.