Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

I need help with my unstable connection

NathanielPNathanielP Posts: 5 Spectator
edited May 24 in Connectivity Apr 28, 2022

Towards the end of January my ping became unstable. I put up with it for a few months then I contacted Spectrum. They sent a technician a couple days ago and they kept mentioning how my speed was good but the issue I am having is not the speed, it is the stability of the connection. They mention ping issue could be the modem, but I bought this modem last month in response to this issue and it didn't fix it. They did find that the cable going from box to the road was bad, so they replaced it and now I am waiting for them to bury it. I had hoped that this would fix the problem, but it did not. I hope this tracert provides some info into what my issue is.

Tagged:

Comments

• Tyleen_ZTyleen_Z Posts: 464 Moderator
    Apr 29, 2022

Hello and welcome to the Spectrum Community.

From what I can see it looks like the issues start after they leave the Charter network. So this is not something we would be able to fix.

-Tyleen

• NathanielPNathanielP Posts: 5 Spectator
    Apr 29, 2022

This is one about an hour after the last where it is more "stable".

• Tyleen_ZTyleen_Z Posts: 464 Moderator
    Apr 29, 2022

I am seeing it showing the same thing that after hop 6 that it goes out of our network so we would not be able to assist with that.

-Tyleen

Apr 29, 2022

That issue is probably with that pc. This is with a different pc. My main focus is the ping are you telling me that it is normal?

Apr 29, 2022

Nevermind I see now that this pc seems to be causing some issue. I'll have to figure out how to deal with it.

• William_MWilliam_M Posts: 247 Moderator
    Apr 29, 2022

Good luck with your PC! Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 858 Contributor
    edited April 29 Apr 29, 2022

Might want to try testing to a more static site... routing to just "google.com" can change up often.

Notice how each of those traces resolved to a different address?

It is better to limit your testing to the same environment as best you can so <hopefully> BGP and such send you along the same path to the same endpoint each time you probe it.

Apr 29, 2022

You are right 172.217.1.196 consistently finishes in the same amount.

It is doing better today. I'll post again if it gets worse.

This discussion has been closed.