Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Formula 1 Series Recording?

smm2221smm2221 Posts: 18 Participant
edited June 7 in Channels & Programming Apr 29, 2022

On my legacy SA Explorer 8300HDC STB I could record all Formula 1 shows including practice, qualifying, and the race itself as a series, regardless of which channel they were on.

With the new clockless box, I cannot find a way to do that. I must schedule each show as an episode.

Am I missing something or is there not a way to record it as a series?

Best Answer

• William_MWilliam_M Posts: 349 Moderator
    Apr 29, 2022 Answer ✓

Hi @smm2221 !

It looks like the upcoming Formula 1 practices/races are listed as individual events and not a series, so individual recordings will need to be scheduled. How they are listed is controlled by the network. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Replies

• smm2221smm2221 Posts: 18 Participant
    edited April 29 Apr 29, 2022

"How they are listed is controlled by the network."

That wasn't true for the legacy guide.

"Formula Racing" appears as a "TV Show" in the search results.

Apr 29, 2022

The receiver type or guide version does not affect how a program is listed. It may have been listed as a series in the past but I have checked multiple receivers with different guide versions and recording as a series is not an option on any of them because it is listed as an event. A TV show can still be designated as a series or an event, and only series can be scheduled to record as series. I am only seeing 3 practices, 1 qualification, and one race scheduled so I recommend just scheduling the recordings individually.

Willam_M,

I used the legacy guide for years until yesterday April 28, 2022. That's the way it worked. I NEVER had to individually schedule each session in the legacy guide. It recorded ALL Formula 1 sessions regardless of the channel.

"so I recommend just scheduling the recordings individually"

That's the issue. It wasn't necessary for the legacy guide.

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,642 Contributor

To add to this discussion,

Remember that Spectrum has several different cable guides. The older guides ran different software. Not only different software, but also different operating systems depending on the box and guide.

To see the differences in the guides, Google search, "What guide do I have?", Spectrum. One of the first results will be a listings page where you can enter your address and see the guides in your market. Search functionality will be similar, but not the same for each guide.

There are several reasons why Sports programs/live events can not be recorded as a series:

1.) The differerences in guides and software versions noted above.

2.) Scheduling changes by networks and rain delays, which can postpone sports events. Such could result in tons of recordings being inaccurate.

3.) Different sports can run overtime, depending on the event, It can be very frustrating for adding time to a whole bunch of live sports shows.

4.) Games and events subject to blackouts.

5.) The legacy boxes in the field having much smaller DVR hard drives. It would be impossible to archive a whole season of sports on a hard drive legacy box because users would lose space for other things like movies and TV shows. The old SA boxes referenced above, only had a 160 GB hard drive, which is only enough for about 15-20 hours of HD programing storage. The newer box models have a 1 TB hard drive. Enough for 100 hours of HD storage.

6.) It's much easier to record set shows and movies with specific end times that can be adjusted by the user for series than live sports for the reasons above. For example, I always have to pad an extra hour of end time for sports, to account for game overtimes.

All of these conditions enabled the new guide design teams to consider that it would be easier to record sports live games/events as individual shows.

Satch

2.) Scheduling changes by networks and rain delays, which can postpone sports events. Such could result in tons of recordings being inaccurate.

This is still an issue even when each session must be individually programmed to record.

3.) Different sports can run overtime, depending on the event, It can be very frustrating for adding time to a whole bunch of live sports shows.

No, it wasn't at all. I could add two hours to all the F1 broadcasts ONE TIME and it automatically added two hours to every recording.

5.) The legacy boxes in the field having much smaller DVR hard drives. 

This is irrelevant. The legacy guide/STB could be programmed ONE TIME to record ALL F1 sessions/broadcasts for every race weekend on ANY channel with two hours added. The storage capacity has no effect on programming functionality.

6.) It's much easier to record set shows and movies with specific end times that can be adjusted by the user for series than live sports for the reasons above. For example, I always have to pad an extra hour of end time for sports, to account for game overtimes.

No, it's not for F1 sessions/broadcasts. I programmed it once a few years ago and never had to change it - set & forget. Now I must ensure that I remember to individually program every session for every race while remembering to extend every recording.

Willam_M,

"I have checked multiple receivers with different guide versions"

Try it on the Rovi guide. You can do it now with Indy Car. F1 is the weekend after next, the Roku guide is only for six days. So far the ONLY advantage I found of the "new" guide is that it is for fourteen days, otherwise, it's far inferior to the Roku guide.

Apr 30, 2022

I believe you are referring to Passport guide, I do not have a receiver with that to test here. Are you selecting the show from the guide or search? While I could not record "Formula 1 Racing" as a series on ESPN2, I was able to for ABC by selecting it through guide as they have it listed as a series.

• calibrokercalibroker Posts: 11 Participant
    May 04, 2022

My comments on this discussion

I’m sure this is a guide data issue because I’m also an F1 fan. Currently, I run a cable card setup that is configured to use the EPG123 Electronic Program Guide. This weekend’s F1 race in Miami is a first-time event and my system was able to find all of the practice sessions 1-3, qualifying, the pre-race show, and F1 race all without ANY user input even though the aforementioned recordings were on different channels and times. My configuration was initially set up approximately 6-7 years ago as a Time Warner customer and it’s been a true “Set & Forget” and functioning the way one would expect.

I believe the data being used for the Spectrum guide is not configuring off the data like some of the other more robust guides available. The best guide data and setup in my opinion has been the Windows Media Center set up by Microsoft. Windows Media Center had the guide data issue worked out and currently still works flawlessly which is the main reason why we still keep our cable card setup. 

edited May 4 May 04, 2022

"My configuration was initially set up approximately 6-7 years ago as a Time Warner customer and it’s been a true “Set & Forget” and functioning the way one would expect."

Yes, that's the way it works on the Rovi/Passport guide - just as it should, but not on the "new" Spectrum guide. The Spectrum guide is a failure. I can't imagine what they were thinking when they released this dog and this is only one of its issues.

This discussion has been closed.