Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

What causes a thin white broken pulsating line across the top of the TV picture?

deedleann824deedleann824 Posts: 31 Participant
in TV Equipment Jun 06, 2022

Only happens on some channels, usually the local ones.

Replies

• Heather_THeather_T Posts: 115 Moderator
    Jun 07, 2022

Hello @deedleann824.

That type of issue can be caused by a poor connection of some sort. Is this happening on just 1 TV? Are you using a cable box or streaming? If you're using a cable box you can try rebooting the box and verify that the coax cable is connected tightly to the cable box and HDMI cables are secure in the ports on the box and TV.

-Heather

• deedleann824deedleann824 Posts: 31 Participant
    Jun 07, 2022

I check all the TV and cable box connections and they are very tight. I just rebooted the box without effect. I rally only notice it on one channel.

• William_MWilliam_M Posts: 256 Moderator
    Jun 08, 2022

What channel is it?

Jun 08, 2022

On my cable box it's channel 1245 - MeTV.

• Paul_BPaul_B Posts: 485 Moderator
    Jun 08, 2022

Good morning - is this the only TV that you're seeing this problem on? Do you have any other TVs which you could test this out on so we can determine what may be causing this issue?

Paul_B

Jun 09, 2022

I onkt have the one TV and it's an old CRT Panasonic.

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,574 Contributor
    edited June 9 Jun 09, 2022

In answer to this question,

It can also be the source channel that messes something up in an update. Spectrum CATV is flawless on my new Samsung Smart TV. But Pluto TV's app got a recent update. In addition to all my Pluto favorite channels being gone, there is a ghostly thin white horizontal line that runs across the top of the screen, In addition, the top third of the screen is dark, like it has a hazy tint to it. But it is only on the Pluto TV app.

Tweeted this on Twitter, and some other people retweeted noting that they have the same problem. It is so notiicable and so annoying, on all Pluto channels and their station commercials. in addition to the app, sometimes freezing and crashing I did an uninstall and reinstall. No difference. Finally had to remove the app completely, Just using Pluto TV off the website for now.

The reviews for the channel online are horrible! About 1.5 stars! I honestly think that CBS, which owns Pluto TV, has about three people working there. Oh yea, Tubi TV, Netflix, and HBO Max are all fine.

Satch

• William_MWilliam_M Posts: 256 Moderator
    Jun 10, 2022

Is it constant or intermittent? Do you see it on commercials as well?

Jun 10, 2022

It happens when the picture doesn't go all the way from side to side, and so far, it only happens on that channel.

edited June 10 Jun 10, 2022

Hello @deedleann824

Some more questions and thoughts on this topic

1.) When you tune to ME TV in your area, is it on commercials as well as programing?

2.) Is this a SD or a High Definition TV? If it is a standard definition set, change your settings to SD and your menu settings to SD if applicable, Output resolution should be set to 420p. You can't get higher than that on an SD set.

3.) If #2 applies to you, make those changes and reboot your box. Does the problem persist?

4.) If you have an HD set, turn off everything and unplug your cable box for two minutes. Unplug your HDMI cable for two minutes, Reconnect the HDMI cable and reboot everything, Still a problem on METV?

5.) If you have an HDMI set, can you try buying and connecting a new HDMI cable? (Good ones are about $15-$20.)

6.) If the problem still persists, or you have an HD set and can't do #2, I am think get a tech out to do a signal test for that channel,

7.) What is the make and model of your cable box? How old is the box? How old is the TV?

Satch

Jun 10, 2022

The TV is an old Panasonic CRT TV and I don't have the original remote for it.

The cable box is almost new, I've had it about 5 months. It's a Cisco 4742HDC box.

I haven't noticed the line during commercials - they usually fill the screen from side to side, but when the actual TV show returns, it doesn't go fully from left to right and then I see the line.

Rebooting or having Spectrum send a corrective signal doesn't help .

edited June 10 Jun 10, 2022

@deedleann824,

I Google imaged searched Panasonic CRT TV's and saw some really old sets. It sounds like yours is not HD. If I were you, I would almost abort my original suggestions to you and get a new HD TV. I can not tell you the joy and awesomeness we have with our new Samsung Series 8 50" HD set! Even on old movies it looks like the actors in the movies or athletes playing sports are sitting and standing in the room with you!) The sharpness is that great! I have never seen such clarity on a picture in my life, And I have studied TV technology for almost 40 years!

Seriously, I would go to Best Buy and get a new Samsung TV. You will need (and should get a new HDMI cable at Best Buy) even if you don't already have once if you purchase a new HD TV. The HDMI cable is not included and if you don't get an HDMI cable, you won't have HD. That set may be too old for modern technology. We got the five year Geek Squad protection at Best Buy.

If you don't live near a Best Buy, try Amazon. Regardless, I would recommend a Samsung Series 8 TV with a 40 to 50 inch screen and the purchase of an HDMI cable. Get about a $20 cable for best quality.

Satch

Jun 10, 2022

Panasonic CT-27SF11S

Jun 10, 2022

Hi @deedleann824,

That's old! I would follow my recommendations above and get a new TV. Oh and when you get a new TV, you will want to go under Samsung's Expert Settings for Picture and turn off "Ecomomy/Enviornmental mode." When left on, this auto adusts the brightness and contrast to comensatve for brightness in the room. The problem is at night, the picture gets too dark. Turning off this setting gives you more control over picture settings.

Than, you will want to turn on the Picture Clarity (auto sharpen) setting. Oh yea, One more thing! Get a power surge protector for your TV! Our first one died because our surge protector was like 14 years old. You will want to plug your TV and cable box into the surge protector, to protect the electronics from power spikes and surges during electrical storms and unexpected loss of power.

Go with a new Samsung Series 8 40-50 inch TV.

A new HDMI cable about $20

A New Power Surge Protector $20-$30.

Satch

Jun 16, 2022

@deedleann824,

Any updates on this? Did you get a new TV?

Satch

Jun 16, 2022

I don't get out to the "big box" stores very often.