Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Cannot send email using Outlook 2007

trig123trig123 Posts: 10 Spectator
edited June 17 in Email Jun 17, 2022

For the last 10 years I have always used outlook 2007 for my mail with my charter email address. As of 10 days ago I can't send but I can receive email. This is happening on two computers but I use the same email address on both. My neighbor has the same software and he can send and receive. Just wondering what could have happened to cause this problem.

Replies

• William_MWilliam_M Posts: 256 Moderator
    Jun 17, 2022

Hi @trig123, welcome to our community!

Are you able to send email via webmail? Can you verify you are using these email server settings?

• trig123trig123 Posts: 10 Spectator
    Jun 17, 2022

Yes, webmail works fine. This just happened all of sudden.

Jun 17, 2022

Also I am using Pop3 995 and 587 Nobody has changed these and always worked fine. Pop 3 is greyed out

Jun 17, 2022

I am actually the person helping my neighbor. I have the same operating system and also use outlook 2007. I use pop3 and my out is 25 and in is 110. I wonder if these settings are safe ? Mine works fine. I tried to use those on his computer and it wouldn't work. You think something might be wrong with his router maybe blocking email from being sent ?

• Paul_BPaul_B Posts: 485 Moderator
    Jun 17, 2022

Good afternoon!

Unless the router has some sort of built in security for filtering in and outbound mail I don't believe that would cause what you're seeing. One thing I would check is to see if there were any updates to any security software on the neighbors computer. Some security software has built in email scanning which can cause issues such as what you are seeing.

Paul_B

Jun 18, 2022

I would also like to add POP3 is not recommended. Please try configuring the email client using the recommended email server settings.

Jun 18, 2022

The POP 3 is greyed out. Will I have to delete that profile and create a new one using IMAP ?

Jun 18, 2022

Yes, you will need to disable the POP3 profile and then create a new profile with IMAP. I recommend making a local backup of the emails before disabling the POP3 profile.

Jun 18, 2022

How do I make a local backup ? I sure don't want to screw up which I have in the past when working with outlook. Really its not working so I guess it don't matter when I remove the profile.

edited June 18 Jun 18, 2022

I also wonder why POP3 is no longer recommenced ? I use that one on mine. Is there a security issue ? I don't use email on my phone and I check keep a copy on server so what other reason is there to use IMAP ? How anyone use email on a phone is beyond me. I am too old to be trying to read email on such a small screen as a phone. Thanks

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,574 Contributor
    Jun 19, 2022

Hello,

Do you have webmail for a back up account? I would recommend Outlook.com. It is free and will work in conjunction with a Microsoft account, on any web browser, with an Internet connection.

I would also recommend Ghostery as an excellent Internet blocker to stop the ads and trackers

A new version of Outlook will optimize your privacy and be more secure. I don't know if you will be able to sync address book contacts from Outlook 2007 because of the desktop version of that being so old,

Satch

Jun 19, 2022

I do have webmail and to be honest I think the 2007 version is way too old to be using anyway. I have a hotmail email account and use outlook also. Thanks for the tips. Tom

Jun 19, 2022

IMAP is much more advanced and allows you to see all folders on the mail server. Messages can be accessed across multiple devices simultaneously. The mail content can be read partially and you can can search the content of mail for a specific string before downloading. You can organize the emails directly on the mail server. You can create, delete or rename an email on the mail server. It is Bi-directional, all changes made on the server or device are made on the other side too.

POP3 is generally only preferable if you only access the email on a single device which might not always have an internet connection available, since it downloads the emails to your device and you wouldn't need the syncing benefits of IMAP. Unfortunately we do not have POP3 server settings to provide.

Jun 19, 2022

I am just wondering what would have changed ? They have been using the same email on two different computers for 7 years and no problem. All of sudden using outlook 2007 they can't send. Stays in outbox and when they close they get message about unsent mail ??

I use it with same setting and mine works perfect. Spectrum could not solve. I could see maybe something might be wrong with one computer but not two at the same time. His wife and him both use the same email address and like I said it has worked for 7 years like this.

Jun 19, 2022

@trig123 ,

What type of computer or operating system do you have? If it is Windows 10 or Windows 11, which are service-based updates, one update to Windows, or your AV could have pushed "Outlook 2007" to stop working correctly. Outlook 2007 passed the obsolete mark after 2017. The ten year mark that Microsoft traditionally gives to its products and services before updates will stop. Windows 10 was supposed to be supported for the life of the device on which it ran, but that changed with Windows 11, with a cut off date for support updates for Windows 10, to October 2025 (Back to the 10-year update plan.) However, since so many people hate Windows 11, and due to the popularity of Windows 10, an end-of-life extension for updates could be granted. But that decision won't likely come until 2024.

Point is that your Outlook 2007 is fifteen years past it's release and is no longer safe to use because of the changes in security and technology. Microsoft wants people on Office 365 subscriptions for $100 a year for life. Good value for businesses, especially with multiple PC's. But for home users who just need to do document and email basis, there are free and excellent other providers out there. I would recommend using a free web-mail client like Outlook.com, Gmail, or Yahoo Mail with the Ghostery pop-up blocker. Or moving to an Office 365 subscription if you can afford it, or have a strong reason, like several computers to protect in a business enviornment.

In either case, because Outlook 2007 is so old, is not safe, and way out of support, you need a new email system. Outlook 2007 is too old. Email is still the number one method for people to get their data hacked. You and your neighbor need to change to something more modern and secure.

Satch

Jun 20, 2022

Not really worried about my neighbor but I plan on still using it. I have windows 10 pro and even though office 2007 is out of date I am not concerned about using it. It has been out of date for several years and never had an issue before. I will figure it out myself. Thanks for the warnings though. I don't really have any data I am worried about as I only use this computer for a few simple things.

Jun 20, 2022

Thanks @trig123

I have Office 2010 on my Windows 10 PC, just as a back up. Use Yahoo Mail for email (With Ghostery Internet ad blocking) and Google Docs for most writings, It works great! Same with my Windows 11 laptop, but it has Softmaker Free Office on it.