Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Nightly Disconnects, Hudson Valley, NY

apdebeckerapdebecker Posts: 11 Participant
edited August 9 in Connectivity Jul 07, 2022

Every night for the past couple of weeks, between 5:30PM and 7PM my internet starts slowing down and eventually goes out completely. It happened again today, the modem finally reset and at least the internet is working again. When I check the Spectrum web page immediately after the service is restored, it shows there is an outage in my area.

Spectrum support, can you look at my account, see where I am located, and give us an idea of what is going on? This is obviously not due to an equipment issue on my end; I suspect it's related to the time of day and more user activity as people come off work, stream TV shows, etc. I understand the occasional outage, but this has been going on too long now.

Comments

• Randy_SRandy_S Posts: 336 Moderator
    Jul 07, 2022

Good evening @apdebecker!

I was able to locate your account and equipment with your registration information here and I saw that the service interruption you referenced has been lifted. I do see in your system logs some signal issues. It is very possible they are just outside or there could be two things happening at once: area issue and possible direct signal interference to your specific service address. So that leads me to this next question.

Have you already tried rebooting your modem with both power and coax cable? If not, try unplugging the power, and unscrewing the coax for about 20 seconds. Then, screw the coax back in and then plug the power back in. Also, check the coax cable connections from the back of the modem through to where it screws in on the wall (including splitters if there are any on the line). Make sure the connections are finger tight and there are no kinks/pinches in the wire. And, if you have separate WIFI router, it would be good to reboot that as well to give them both a clean slate to work from. I am notating your account with what I found in your system logs as well.

Randy

• apdebeckerapdebecker Posts: 11 Participant
    edited July 8 Jul 08, 2022

Hi @Randy_S,

Thank you for replying. I have power cycled the modem and router on occasion when this happened, but just now I went ahead and did as you suggested: powered down the modem, disconnected the coax, let it sit for about a minute, then reconnected the coax and then the power. Verified that the coax is as you described, finger tight and no kinks or tight bends. Also power cycled the router. Everything came up fine, all looks good on my end.

Can you check my logs again and see if anything has changed?

As I said in my first message, this happens on a daily basis in the evening (5:30 - 7 PM). The rest of the time my internet is trouble free. I will report back if it happens again.

• William_MWilliam_M Posts: 349 Moderator
    Jul 08, 2022

The connection looks healthy from our end at this time. If the problem persists I recommend testing using a device connected with an ethernet cable instead of WiFi, and then contacting us for further assistance.

Jul 09, 2022

And here we are, it just happened again. We were in the middle of watching a movie and the internet went down.

I logged on with my phone and the Spectrum site was showing "An outage is affecting your Spectrum services. We're working quickly and expect to restore your service by 12:00 AM ET on July 9 CT. Last updated 9:38 PM ET on July 8."

I power cycled my modem, it came up, and there are tons of corrected and uncorrected errors:

That was about 20 minutes ago, now everything is back to normal. Speeds are good, streaming is working. But this shouldn't happen every single night.

• Renee_TRenee_T Posts: 297 Moderator
    Jul 09, 2022

I took a look into the interruption and at least for tonight, whatever was causing the issue had resolved itself before the technicians who were looking into things had an opportunity to determine the cause. I am going to PM you to verify some account details to see if we can get this escalated for you.

Jul 09, 2022

Info sent

This discussion has been closed.