Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Intermittent internet in the morning

gorgonausgorgonaus Posts: 5 Newcomer
in Connectivity Jul 15, 2022
This discussion was created from comments split from: Nightly Disconnects, Hudson Valley, NY.

Comments

• gorgonausgorgonaus Posts: 5 Newcomer
    Jul 14, 2022

In some mornings I see lost connect to the internet. Looks like you change my IP without providing a new one.

DHCP Release/Renew does not help, only power cycling.

I use WRT54GL router with Domain Name: cfl.rr.com Login Type: Automatic Configuration - DHCP

• William_MWilliam_M Posts: 349 Moderator
    Jul 15, 2022

Hi @gorgonaus, welcome to our community!  I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with your services. Since many things can cause an intermittent connection it's unlikely the cause is the exact same as the user whose thread you commented on. I've split your comment to its own thread so we can focus on resolving your issue.

Let's start with some basics;

Have you recently tried rebooting your modem and router?

Is the coaxial cable firmly connected to the modem and wall outlet?

Is there a splitter or filter on that coaxial cable you can bypass?

Jul 17, 2022

Hi William, thank you for the basics! My answer is: everything is connected and works fine except the following - your server resets my IP during night hours and does not provide a new one. DHCP Release/Renew commands do not work. One or more modem's power off/on cycles restore communication and I have the new IP, see responds for DHCP Release/Renew commands and have no problems until next morning.

• Steph_SSteph_S Posts: 435 Moderator
    Jul 17, 2022

Thank you for that information @gorgonaus. Is it possible to bypass your router, reboot the modem to release the router information to see if the connection drops with the modem hardwired?

Jul 18, 2022

Hi Steph_s, after I reboot the modem everything usually works, therefore I can't reproduce the problem.

• Steph_SSteph_S Posts: 435 Moderator
    Jul 18, 2022

Understood. Upon running further diagnostics, I am not seeing any signal issues. Have you checked your router for firm ware updates?

What I would suggest is bypassing the router, connecting the modem directly to the computer and testing the connection to see if the issue continues. If the issue is still occurring, please let us know.

Aug 05, 2022

Steph_s, since last time everything works fine (I did not change anything on my end). Hope you could fix the problem. Thanks!

• William_MWilliam_M Posts: 349 Moderator
    Aug 06, 2022

Glad to hear it is working better! Please let us know if you have any further trouble.