Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Getting high upload MS but speeds are fine, causing excruciating lag on multiple devices.

yaboytcellyaboytcell Posts: 2 Spectator
in Connectivity Jul 15, 2022

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz 3.70 GHz

Installed RAM 16.0 GB

System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Edition Windows 10 Home

Version 21H1

OS build 19043.1826

Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0

Modem: Motorola model MB8600

Router: Spectrum WIFI 6 Router

Intel(R) Xeon(R) E3 - 1200/1500 v5/6th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) PCIe Controller (x16) -1901

Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V

I'm on Spectrum 500/20 plan. And while the upload and download speeds are fine, it seems once I get under load, the upload latency starts creeping up, and it will get as high as 500ms until the end the of the test. (Using speedtest.net)

As of right now, I'm directly connected to my PC from the modem, but had the same issues when I had my PC wired into the router.

I should note that this issue is happening on my Iphones, games on my phone, our firestick, etc.

I'm not sure how to check how many devices are currently connected to the network, but I have before, ensured anything that could transmit a signal was turned off and unplugged (not sure if that actually dropped them from the network or not).

I hope this is everything needed, as this is my 1st post, but I can provide more information if needed (which I'm sure will be). I'm not too savvy with networks, so please bear my ignorance as I'm trying to fix this, as well as learn in the process.

When running the speedtest it shows the latency for download and the latency for upload.

From what I see is that at the beginning of the speedtest my upload latency is lets say 20 ms, but by the time the speedtest is finished it's at 2000 ms.

When I'm in a game such as league of legends, or fortnite, etc. I have around 83ms, and then randomly out of nowhere I go up to 300ms, and then it just starts bouncing around from there.

*NOTE: Spectrum did send a technician out, and said that all of the signals and connections look good as far as from the outside to the house, and from the house to the modem.

Replies

• Renee_TRenee_T Posts: 297 Moderator
    Jul 16, 2022

Hello @yaboytcell

Welcome to our community! I'm sorry to hear about the internet issues. I took a look at the account using your forum registration information. It looks like there were some timeout issues yesterday, but I do see that there was an interruption in the area yesterday that coordinated with those timeouts, and they stopped after that interruption was resolved. The only thing I've noticed from today were some improper code controls and mismatches, which can be caused by a few things. Did you recently switch over to this modem and was it brand new or used elsewhere?

• yaboytcellyaboytcell Posts: 2 Spectator
    Jul 18, 2022

I did recently switch to this modem, and it was brand new, however I've been having this issue longer than I've had the modem.

• James_MJames_M Posts: 3,559 ADMIN
    Jul 19, 2022

Thanks for the reply. You are using your own modem and a Spectrum router. Can you try swapping the router? You can exchange the router for a different one at any local Spectrum store. This will help eliminate an equipment issue.