Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Hurricane Ian: We're tracking Ian and will keep you posted as it affects your area. Get storm tips and updates.

Why does my internet speed max out at 90mbps on a 500mbps connection if on over 24 hours?

DragonicDragonic Posts: 2 Spectator
edited August 24 in Home Networking Jul 22, 2022

As stated every since tech support recommended I setup a new modem from them if I dont restart the modem at least every 12-24hrs my connection speed drops to a maximum of around 95mbps despite my current plan being a 500mbps connection. Techs say no issues with line or signal by the way.

Replies

• William_MWilliam_M Posts: 396 Moderator
    Jul 22, 2022

Hi @Dragonic, welcome to our community!

Have you been rebooting the router after the modem finishes rebooting?

Are you testing using a device connected with an ethernet cable?

If you can only test on WiFi, are you testing close to the router?

Have you tested with multiple devices?

Is there good ventilation around the modem and router?

Are they stacked on top of each other or other electronics that could be getting hot?

• DragonicDragonic Posts: 2 Spectator
    Jul 22, 2022

So in answer to your questions. Im of course only performing speed test on a wired connection and no they are not stacked or in a confined space. Yes all devices show this same 95mbps limit despite being hard wired to my router. I also have restarted the router some of the times but it appears to make no difference if i do or dont ive discovered as soon as i restart the modem everything is fine for 12-48hrs than its right back to a max speed of around 95mbps. All the simple common sense bases have been covered as im relatively tech savvy. I only let them replace my equipment due to frequent drops from my internet. They replaced the router twice but after continued issues with the first router I was told was refurbished and neither the tech nor I could remove the strict status from my nat and the second simply showing the same drop issues I purchased my own Linksys WRT1900AC. The connection hasnt been dropping however since the modem swap I have been running into slow internet issue and started doing speed test.

• William_MWilliam_M Posts: 396 Moderator
    Jul 22, 2022

Are you able to connect just one device straight into the modem with the ethernet cable, reboot the modem to restore internet, and then leave it like that to see if the speed drops?

This discussion has been closed.