Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Internet Speed Increase in SE Wisconsin

LGTLGT Posts: 139 Contributor
in Connectivity Jul 23, 2022

I just happened to run a speed check today and noticed I was getting 340 Down. I have had standard internet for a couple of years and it has always been around 240 Down. I went to my account page and sure enough it lists 300 Down. I did not request an upgrade and my bill has not changed so it looks like Spectrum has increased base download speeds by 50% here. Upload speeds remain the same.

I looked at my last few bills and did not see anything about this. My real question is why Spectrum didn’t say this somewhere. Most companies would have 50% speed increase in big red letters across your bill to pat themselves on the back. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for this I just don’t understand Spectrum’s logic behind a secret speed increase.

Maybe Spectrum could secretly add a bunch of extra channels to my TV package next month🙂.

Best Answer

• William_MWilliam_M Posts: 349 Moderator
    Jul 23, 2022 Answer ✓

Hi @LGT! Great to hear you are receiving the new internet speed! We are always working on improving the services we offer. Sometimes that takes the form of a free speed upgrade so that we can remain competitive, meet the growing needs of our customers, and to take advantage of advances in technology that allow us to push more speed using our existing infrastructure. Just a few years ago speed for our Standard Internet plan was increased from 100 to 200 Mb/s, and is now being increased again to 300 Mb/s, with no increase to monthly rate associated with the changes.

I have not been provided a reason that we have not been sending out notifications about this increase, my speculation would be that since not all customers have received the upgrade yet we are waiting for the upgrades to be nearly or fully completed before we start advertising the change. I will be happy to forward feedback about expanding channel availability for our TV packages.

Replies

• KH22KH22 Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Today

Here in OH, we got the email stating we’d go from 100 to 200 MB at no extra charge. Interesting, because right after that our internet charges increased by $15. Today I get an email saying at no extra charge, we are being increased to 300 MB. Wonder what the new monthly internet rate will increase to????

• Randy_SRandy_S Posts: 336 Moderator
    Today

Good morning @KH22 ...

That is probably a promotion that expired and not related to your speed increase. If you check your billing statements (the one before the increase and the increased one) you should see an alert or a line item note saying if a promotion is expiring. That will verify if my assumption is correct or not.

Glad you are here and thanks for the question.

Randy

• SquashmanSquashman Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited 5:03PM Today

I got the email today about the increase and while it is always nice to have faster download service it probably isn't needed for many people. A lot of times in our household we have 3 video streams going at once and 100 Mbps was more than enough to handle those HD video streams.

My main concern is that we still have not gotten an upload speed increase in several years. A lot of people like to make video content these days and uploading those files to YouTube, TikTok, Facebook, etc.....takes a long time because our upload speed is still capped at 10Mbps.

Two providers are laying Fiber in my area and both are advertising symmetrical bandwidth with their Fiber Plans. In my family having 200 or even just 100 Mbps of symmetrical bandwidth is more important than 300 Mbps down and only 10 Mbps up.