Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Latency issues in games

ApereliApereli Posts: 5 Spectator
edited July 25 in Connectivity Jul 25, 2022

Hello,

I have noticed some latency issues in the multiplayer games that I frequently play. My gaming PC is wired directly to a switch, which is connected directly to the router. Here are some of the troubleshooting steps that I've tried:

1.    Power down router, modem, and networking switch for ~5 mins before powering back on

2.    Run 'ping localhost -t' on my gaming PC to confirm that there are no issues with the NIC

3.    Run 'ping 192.168.2.1 -t' on my gaming PC to confirm that there are no issues between the PC and the router

4.    Performed some traceroute tests to different Rocket League servers, as well as Google and 1.1.1.1. I have attached the results to this post. None of the results seem to be particularly alarming, however the worst times do seem to get pretty bad. I know that doesn’t mean much, though, since a packet only has to perform poorly one time to show up in the worst column.

5.     Opened the network graph in Rocket League to confirm that latency is spiking on a constant basis. See screenshot below.

6.    Opened the network graph in Battlefield 4 and noticed that latency was consistently low, but packet loss would spike to 3.3-10%

Are there any additional troubleshooting steps that you would recommend to find the root cause of these latency issues?

Thanks

Tagged:

Best Answer

• ApereliApereli Posts: 5 Spectator
    Jul 25, 2022 Answer ✓

The issue is related to the switch that I was using on my network. The switch was not powerful to handle the traffic when there was a large amount of data flowing to one device connected to said switch.

Thank you to the Spectrum Support staff for assisting.

Replies

Jul 25, 2022

Google.com

Rocket League Game Server #1

Rocket League Game Server #2

• Steph_SSteph_S Posts: 435 Moderator
    Jul 25, 2022

Good afternoon and welcome to the community.

Thank you for providing this information. After running further diagnostics, I am not seeing any signal issues. Is it possible to bypass the router, reboot the modem and re-run the test to see if the issue is still occurring?

Jul 25, 2022

Hi Steph,

I tried to do that last night, and didn't have any luck getting my PC to grab a public IP. Turns out the trick was to reboot the modem after connecting to the PC. :)

The latency seemed to be stable going directly from my PC into the modem. I am going to test again later this evening when it's a "peak time" just to confirm, but this likely means that there's an issue with my networking hardware.

If everything continues to run smoothly when I test again later this evening, I'll mark your comment as the solution.

Thanks!

• Steph_SSteph_S Posts: 435 Moderator
    Jul 25, 2022

Sounds good, thank you for the update. If you need any further assistance just let us know.