Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

TV will not go to HDMI when turned on

Basil1Basil1 Posts: 3 Spectator
edited August 1 in TV Equipment Jul 30, 2022

I just joined Charter. I am having the same problem on both of my tv's. I use a cable box. When I turn on the remote the tv says I have no signal. I have to press input on the remote and manually scroll down to the hdmi I am using. It happens everytime. My tv's are two different brands. So I am thinking the problem is the remote or cable box. I have searched and searched for an answer. Please help. Thank you.

Replies

• Tyleen_ZTyleen_Z Posts: 487 Moderator
    Jul 30, 2022

Hello and welcome to the Spectrum Community.

I apologize for the issues. Do you notice this issue when you turn the TV on with the remote that came with the TV or by pressing the power button on the TV?

-Tyleen

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,647 Contributor
    Jul 30, 2022

Hello @Basil1

Welcome to the Spectrum Community!

What are the brands of the TV's? Were those remotes picked up by you at a Spectrum office or mailed to you? Or did you get a Spectrum technician to do the install?

Regardless, the first thing that you will need to do is program your Spectrum ALL Power, or System button to turn the TV and box on simultaneously. You can find your brand of remote and instructions for programing your remote here:

If it is a sequencing of events in programing the remote, you will want to have the TV turning itself on last. If that is not possible in programing the All Power, or System button, don't worry about it.

My next question is how old are the TV's and HDMI cables? Since this is happening on two TV's, I don't think this is a cable box issue. I think this is a TV connection issue or a remote, who's All Power or System Button was not programed properly. When you press Volume and Mute buttons on your Spectrum remote, do those work?

1.) If you cant get the All Power/System button to work with your TV, I would advise a service call to make sure that everything is set up correctly. A Spectrum tech can check your HDMI functionality and if needed make necessary replacements,

2.) If that does not solve the problem, or your HDMI cables are really old, get a new pair of HDMI cables.

Satch

• HT_GreenfieldHT_Greenfield Posts: 26 Contributor
    edited July 31 Jul 31, 2022

That sounds like an HDMI telemetry fault due to a faulty cable or faulty port on the Spectrum TV receiver.

Jul 31, 2022

Whoops! I just realized that some TV's can be configured in settings to go to a specific input when turned on. I wonder if that could have something to do with what is or was going on here. If so, my bad.

Jul 31, 2022

Sup @HT_Greenfield ?

Another idea for @Basil1 before doing anything else would be to plug in the existing HDMI cable into another HDMI port on the TV's.

I agree that most likely @Basil1 is having a configuration issue either with the HDMI inputs due to something in settings, old HDMI cables, an improper (or not yet set up) remote programing of the All Power button as strongest culprits. @Basil1, in my opinion, should set up a service call before paying for new HDMI cables.

Ruling out the box, because he/she would than have to have two boxes both at the same time with bad HDMI input connections. That would seem unlikely. But a service tech should be able to fix this.

Satch

• Basil1Basil1 Posts: 3 Spectator
    Jul 31, 2022

Thank you all for your responses. The HDMI cables are both new and from spectrum. I tried every hdmi port on both tv's right away. When I turn on the All power button both come on, but does not default to the cable hdmi. I'll call a service tech since they initially set them up.

Thank you.

• Basil1Basil1 Posts: 3 Spectator
    Jul 31, 2022

Chatting with Spectrum was not helpful. One on tv the only way it will work is to manually push the on button on the tv and then manually turn on the cable box. It has to be in that order. The remote will work, but the spectrum tech said to not use the remote All on button and to do this by hand. That seems silly to me.

I reset the remote to turn on the tv. Everything comes on, but it says no signal. When I push the buttons by hand on the devices it works. Any ideas?

Hi @Basil1 ,

When you said, "Chatting with Spectrum" do you mean the online chat? Did you set up a service call to have the tech come to your house?

Can you post the brand names of both TV's?. What cable box and remote do you have? Just for clarification, you are using the Spectrum Remote that comes with your cable box, correct?

Is this a Smart TV? You should absolutely be able to turn on the TV and cable box with one click of the Spectrum Remote's power button. What is baffling me, is that you said both the TV and cable box come on, but you have to manually use the TV buttons to establish a cable HDMI connection.

I have added a link here about HDMI connection problems that you might be able to use for additional troubleshooting steps To perform these steps, you will need to use your TV manufactures' remote, not the Spectrum remote::

Satch

Ok. "a cable box" had me thinking one Spectrum receiver & two TV's being connected alternatingly for testing purposes. Anyway, if we're talking about Spectrum Guide receivers & remotes, the "INPUT" LED on the remotes will blink once for each signal they send send. "ALL"-on should elicit one blink for receiver on, followed by another for TV on. If it's blinking a third time, then the problem would seem to be with the remote. If so, you could confirm this as the problem by quickly covering the end of the remote during the third blink & see what happens.

@Basil1 : Feel free to let us know if you find this to be the case. I can guide you to the information & guidance that Spectrum has published for their users to be able to try alternative yet brand-specific codes for programming their TV's into Spectrum remotes which often does fix problems like this.

Aug 01, 2022

@Basil1 : I'm curious if you could clarify the following:

Which input do these TV's revert to when they fail to stay on the HDMI from the Spectrum receiver?

To what extent does the problem persist and to what extent is it avoided when the TV is turned on via the OEM TV remote instead of the Spectrum remote - for each TV?

What's the make & model of each TV?

Was everything EVER working properly for either or both TV's?

P.S.: my compliments to @Tyleen_Z & @Satch 🙂