Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

My Spectrum app on Android broken?

PMorenusPMorenus Posts: 4 Spectator

For more than a year now I have repeatedly downloaded, logged in, and tried to use the My Spectrum app on various Android devices to install the Wi-Fi profile for connecting to Spectrum out-of-home public Wi-Fi hot spots.

Is it just me, or does it just plain not work on Android? On iOS devices it seems to work just fine for me.

Emails sent to the address listed on the My Spectrum app's Google Play store listing of [email protected] do yield an auto-response but no subsequent follow-up.

Tagged:

Replies

• Tyleen_ZTyleen_Z Posts: 487 Moderator
    Aug 04, 2022

Hello and welcome to the Spectrum Community.

The My Spectrum app has been recently updated. When you try to install the wifi profile did you update the app to the most recent version of 10.14.0 for Android?

If so once you login on the top right corner is a person icon for Your Account. Once there go to Manage WiFi Auto-Connect. Once you select that it'll take you to a login screen. What happens after you login?

-Tyleen

• PMorenusPMorenus Posts: 4 Spectator
    Aug 04, 2022

Hi Tyleen,

I have done exactly what you are asking - multiple times over the last year.

I click the person icon in the upper right, enter my credentials, and then click the Update Profile button. It then asks to store the profile. And then it VERY quickly moves to another window saying Spectrum WiFi Profile Installed.

But in reality nothing happens. I go a location with a Spectrum out-of-home public Wi-Fi and I am unable to log in and use the Wi-Fi. To be clear, I am attempting to connect to the secure Wi-Fi named "Spectrum", not the unsecure Wi-Fi named "Spectrum Free Trial"

I have done this repeatedly with different Android devices. It just doesn't work. A look at the stored security certificates in the system settings confirm that the My Spectrum app isn't installing anything.

Aug 04, 2022

Sorry, left this out in the response. I have indeed tried with version 10.14.0 on Android. Doesn't work for me on multiple devices.

• William_MWilliam_M Posts: 349 Moderator
    Aug 05, 2022

Where exactly are looking to try and see the stored certificate? Is the hotspot you are trying to connect to listed on our hotspot map? Have you tried multiple different hotspots?

Aug 05, 2022

Hi William,

Answering your questions in reverse order. I have tried multiple locations as listed on the map. My work iPhone is able to connect to the Spectrum SSID at those locations. I am able to connect with an Android phone to the Spectrum Free Trial SSID since it is not secure.

I don't at all view access to the free trial SSID as being an acceptable solution for me on Android since my Wi-Fi data will be unencrypted and vulnerable.

I'm pointing to the lack of uninstalled certificates as an indicator of the wifi profile not being installed properly installed by the My Spectrum app.

Back on the iPhone, I can see that along with the profile, two security certificates are installed - Digicert SHA2 Secure Server CA, and wifiprofile.spectrum.net.

On my Samsung phone under Settings->Biometrics and security->Other security settings->Credential Storage, I can view installed security certificates. It looks like the phone came with Digicert root certificates but there is no evidence that either of the two that are installed with the profile on the iPhone have been installed on the Android phone. I have also tried using the app to install the profile on an older Motorola phone and that one didn't receive the certificates either.

I'd be curious to hear if anyone on a current Android device NOT sold by Spectrum Mobile is able to connect to the secure out-of-home Wi-Fi after using the My Spectrum app to install the Wi-Fi profile.

• William_MWilliam_M Posts: 349 Moderator
    Aug 06, 2022

Will you please reboot your home internet modem? It is responsible for several functions of the app and I see yours hasn't been reset in about 2 months.

If that does not help, will you please try clearing your app data and cache? Did the other devices you tested already have the My Spectrum app installed prior to testing or were they fresh installs?

Did this work more than a year ago? Do you recall anything that changed around the time the problem started?