Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Hurricane Ian: We're tracking Ian and will keep you posted as it affects your area. Get storm tips and updates.

URC1160 Remote FF / RWD

HousteauHousteau Posts: 2 Spectator
edited September 14 in TV Equipment Aug 10, 2022

Hi, just picked up a replacement URC1160 remote and can't get FF/RWD / Pause functions to work on the cable box. have an Arris 3600 box. Previously I've been using an old Insight silver remote that finally died.

Replies

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,686 Contributor
    edited August 10 Aug 10, 2022

Welcome to our Community @Housteau!

I have this remote and have used it on both the Arris 3600 box and my current Cisco 9865. Some questions:

1.) When you press FF/RWD, does a light come on from the CBL button?

2.) Do the other buttons like Play, Guide, menu, and Settings work?

If the buttons don't emit lights when pressed down, replace the batteries. New and Fresh ones only. If they still don't work, the remote is likely bad

3.) Regardless,, run the Setup program for your remote here: https://www.spectrum.net/support/tv/program-your-remote

4.) If that doesn't work, reboot your cable box.

5.) If that doesn't work, call Spectrum and have them reauthorize your DVR, letting them know that RR/FF/Pause remote commands are not working. If this can't be resolved over the phone, a service call should be requested..

Satch

• HousteauHousteau Posts: 2 Spectator
    Aug 10, 2022

Satch, regarding Q1 -Q3 - everything else works. this remote shares the FF/RWD buttons with the right and left directional arrows. As a result, when I press the right or left arrows, they bring up the left side cable menu. Even during DVR viewing. I tried rebooting, but no change. It's unclear what a service call with do.

• HT_GreenfieldHT_Greenfield Posts: 68 Contributor
    edited August 11 Aug 11, 2022

If i’m not mistaken, the URC1160 is also known as the “Spectrum Guide Remote”. I have a 1060BC2/1060BC3 to use with my i-Guide DVR receiver but, for whatever it's worth, here’s how the Spectrum Guide Remote works with the i-Guide receiver DVR:

It can’t be RF-paired with any other receiver for it to work via IR with my i-Guide receiver. 

The ⏯ play/pause button signal does nothing.

During playback: the ⏩ right-pointing nav key jogs, one step at a time, from the normal “play” speed to FF1 then FF2 then FF3 then FF4 then back around to “play” speed. The ⏪ left-pointing nav key does the same but for the rewind (& the normal “play”) speeds. The 🔼 up-pointing nav key toggles back & forth between invoking normal "play" speed & pause! The 🔽 down-pointing nav key stops & exits. (I don’t know how any of this would work with a Spectrum Guide DVR receiver; my Spectrum Guide receiver is non-DVR.)

Anyway, you could always try RF pairing it with the DVR receiver (if you haven’t already) to see if that corrects or enhances any remote button-signal DVR functionality but it sounds like a different type/model remote may be called for.

Aug 11, 2022

Correction,

It looks like the URC1160 is the Spectrum Guide remote. @HT_Greenfield , if The ⏯ play/pause button signal does nothing. how do you play back a show on your I-Guide receiver using that remote.?

I would still support a service call to Spectrum for @Housteau See if they can activate those buttons for you. If a tech comes to the house he should be able to get that remote fully working for you, or give you a remote that I know will work. The Clickr Backlite. Love it! That is the remote I have.

I am gonna ask around how to get a URC1160 to work with an Arris 3600 box.. @Housteau , I assume your box is running Spectrum Guide.?

Satch

Aug 11, 2022

Hey @Satch , you can invoke playback from the recordings list via the on-screen i-Guide DVR user interface along with the remote nav keys & OK button. Just hit OK on a recording & then OK on the on-screen ▶️ symbol. All of the same type of motions needed to jump back to the beginning or delete. 

Aug 11, 2022

Thanks @HT_Greenfield !

Very helpful for people with I-Guide and the new remote. Is there a Pause button that can be used with the URC1160 when working with I-Guide?

Satch

You're welcome, @Satch ! During playback at normal "play" speed on the i-Guide DVR receiver, the 🔼 key on the Spectrum Guide Remote invokes the PAUSE function. During any fast forward or any reverse speed as well as when paused, that same key reverts it back to normal speed "play."

In retrospect, i'm inclined to suggest that it's irrelevant how well the Spectrum Guide Remote works with other receivers. It's probably really only for Spectrum Guide receivers. I'd expect the ⏯ button works fine with the Spectrum 200/201/210 DVR receivers & that you'd use the 🔼 key in lieu of that with other Spectrum Guide DVR receivers. I'd also assume that you'd want to RF pair it with the Spectrum 100/101/110 & 200/201/210 receivers as well as any other Spectrum Guide receivers that support RF pairing.

Thanks @HT_Greenfield!

The newest Spectrum boxes (Spectrum 100/101/110 & 200/201/210) are World Boxes designed without a clock on the panel, and that is the footprint model of box for which the URC1160 was designed. Spectrum has tried to "best fit" that remote for legacy boxes.

For @Housteau,

If your box is running Spectrum Guide try this:: Press menu+3 until input blinks twice.

If that doesn't work, try this: If your cable box is branded Motorola, Arris, or Pace:a. Press and hold MENU and the 2 digit key simultaneously until the INPUT key blinks twice.Show remote with MENU and 3 keys highlighted

If neither of these work, I would get a tech out, and he can check the remote. and swap it out.

Satch

This discussion has been closed.