Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Hurricane Ian: We're tracking Ian and will keep you posted as it affects your area. Get storm tips and updates.

Gmail recepients getting a warning

bigfrybigfry Posts: 4 Spectator
edited September 27 in Email Aug 11, 2022

Hello,

Recently had a friend let me know that emails they get from us have a flashy warning at the top of the message:

"Be careful with this message

Gmail could not verify that it actually came from bak.rr.com. Avoid clicking links, downloading attachments, or replying with personal information."

We've tried a couple different accounts with bak.rr.com (both business and personal), and every time they get the warning. We've also tried sending from the web portal https://webmail.spectrum.net/mail and email clients using smtp, and again get the same result either way.

Our research indicates that there is a SPF domain record that needs to be set for bak.rr.com, but that is of course out of our control.

Best Answer

• William_MWilliam_M Posts: 396 Moderator
    Aug 13, 2022 Answer ✓

Okay, thanks for verifying. I've dug into this a bit and I do see there is an issue with the SPF record for bak.rr.com. I am going to escalate the issue for resolution. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

Replies

Aug 12, 2022

Hi @bigfry, welcome to our community!

Have you had any issues sending emails to other email providers?

Have you tried sending emails from somewhere other than your home network, or from a different device?

Are recipients still able to view your emails by clicking "Looks safe" or adding your email to their contacts?

• bigfrybigfry Posts: 4 Spectator
    Aug 12, 2022

@William_M,

Nobody on any other providers has mentioned it as of now, but every Gmail recipient we've checked has had it.

Yes, we've tried emails from several different networks, devices, clients, and accounts. As long as the email address is from bak.rr.com it has the warning regardless of how or where it was sent.

Yes, recipients can still view the emails, but one recipient had a message go straight to their spam folder when we attached a .jpg, in spite of getting other messages in their inbox (with the warning of course).

Aug 13, 2022

@William_M

Much appreciated. Thank you for looking into it!

Aug 14, 2022

You're welcome @bigfry. The issue should be resolved at this time, I'm showing bak.rr.com has a valid SPF record. Please let us know if you continue to have trouble with it.

Aug 14, 2022

@William_M thanks again! I sent one test message just now and did not get the warning. I'll try to touch base next week with those that reported it to me originally and let you know if anything pops up amiss.

Aug 14, 2022

It's my pleasure!

• DracoFiveDracoFive Posts: 3 Spectator
    Aug 27, 2022

This is also happening to my family. Whenever my stepdad sends something now from his email which is on tampabay.rr.com I get that pop up warning in Gmail on desktop and phone and so do others.

This discussion has been closed.