Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.
Hurricane Ian: We're tracking Ian and will keep you posted as it affects your area. Get storm tips and updates.

Internet going down a few times a day with Unicast ranging error on modem

InternetPersonInternetPerson Posts: 3 Spectator
edited September 22 in Connectivity Aug 12, 2022

Hello,

We have been working from home more and have noticed over the past few months that the internet will drop for a few minutes a few times a day.

Here is the error I see in the modem logs:

Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - initializing MAC

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

I have already moved the modem down to where the cable comes into the house and eliminated all splitters that existed. This has not resolved the problem.

Any other ideas?

Replies

• James_MJames_M Posts: 3,644 ADMIN
    Aug 12, 2022

Hi and welcome!

Are you connecting wireless? If so, please try connecting directly to the modem with an ethernet cable and try to replicate the issue.

• InternetPersonInternetPerson Posts: 3 Spectator
    Aug 22, 2022

Hi James,

We have tested one computer connected directly with the modem and it also loses internet during these times.

Around 3 in the afternoon we lost internet access and below is what the modem shows in the error logs

• Community_HelpCommunity_Help Posts: 24 Moderator
    Aug 22, 2022

Thanks. The modem has also been online for 14 days. Can you restart the modem and see if you can still replicate the problem?

• InternetPersonInternetPerson Posts: 3 Spectator
    Aug 22, 2022

Just restarted, I'll let you know.

Is there a recommended timeframe between modem restarts?

• James_MJames_M Posts: 3,644 ADMIN
    edited August 22 Aug 22, 2022

Generally, once a month is a good guideline. The need to restart more frequently may indicate a potential equipment issue.

This discussion has been closed.