Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Cable Box RF reception

dbokerdboker Posts: 2 Newcomer
in TV Equipment Aug 30, 2022

I have a TV outside and a cable box inside. Last year, set it up so that box was controlled from the remote by RF (radio frequency), rather that line-of-sight infrared. It was a godsend. Box went dead and I had to replace it. The new one no longer accepts RF from remote? How can I fix this?

Replies

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,685 Contributor
    Aug 30, 2022

Welcome to the Community @dboker!

That's a tough one because with tons of boxes out there in inventory offices and on the trucks you have no way of knowing the box type that you are going to get on a truck roll, or by going to the office, as inventory is always changes The same with the remotes.

Can you tell us more about your set up please? Why do you have a TV outside, and can you give us any specifications about that TV? Can you tell us the box that you had previously and the box you have now? (Make and model?) Also, the model number of your remote?

I might be wrong on what I am about to say, but I think that only the newest boxes, (Spectrum World Boxes) that have no clock can do RF remote control. I think that all the other boxes up there can only do IF remote control.

It sounds like you will either have to hunt around for another World Box to do IF remote functionality, or bring that outside TV inside, or get another TV and put it in line of sight with your existing cable box for traditional IF functionality.

The boxes with the clocks, while they are still good, they are older in terms of hardware design, and can't do RF remote functionality. You have to point directly at the older clock boxes and press the buttons for a response from the boxes.

Satch

• HT_GreenfieldHT_Greenfield Posts: 67 Contributor
    Aug 31, 2022

Assuming the receiver & remote both support RF signaling, if the remote hasn't been paired with the new receiver, it needs to be, in order to enable RF signaling. If it's a Spectrum Guide receiver, just go into the settings & support section of the menu of the user interface & there should be a support video in the support videos section to show you how it's done. If that's not it or if you run into any problems doing that, please let us know & also let us know the make & model of the receiver & the remote.