Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

How to gather more information about intermittent connectivity issue?

KCRedBeardKCRedBeard Posts: 8 Spectator
edited September 6 in Connectivity Sep 06, 2022

I've had an ongoing issue for several months that a couple house visits from technicians has been unable to solve, I'm hoping I might be able to get some help here!

I am currently using the equipment I received when I signed up for service (about a year ago), the modem is a Hitron Technologies EN2251 and the router is a Sercomm SAX1V1R.

Multiple times per day I'll notice that all internet traffic stops, for both wired/wireless devices, each stating the gateway is accessible but the next hop is not. The two technicians that have come to the house have both re-terminated all the cables and said they same improvement of the signal levels but no effect on the issue. One of the technicians said there seemed to be periodic interference affecting the whole node and he didn't believe there was anything that could be done at my house to rectify the issue.

The problem has started being more frequent and initiating a chat with service they suggested sending another technician out to my house. Is there any information I can collect and give to support to try to get someone else to look at the issue for me? Would there be any logging on either of these devices that we could review? Would PingPlotter data be of any value to someone looking into the issue?

Replies

• James_MJames_M Posts: 3,641 ADMIN
    edited September 9 Sep 06, 2022

Hi and welcome!

Here is a link to some additional Troubleshooting you can try, and let us know the results or if you have additional questions. If you do not want another service call, you can also try swapping the equipment to rule out an equipment issue. You can swap equipment at any local Spectrum store.

• KCRedBeardKCRedBeard Posts: 8 Spectator
    Sep 09, 2022

Thanks for the link @James_M

My zip code is 66111, up to 1000Mbps is my subscribed speed, and the modem is a Hitron Technologies EN2251 and the router is a Sercomm SAX1V1R. Speed tests range from 600Mbps to 300Mbps down and are generally in the 30Mbps up range.

I have tried resetting the equipment and it doesn't seem to change the behavior at all. I'm not against swapping equipment to rule it out but I'd also like to think there's something additional that could be done to point towards an issue with the equipment.

Sep 09, 2022

Thanks. I was able to locate your account and I am seeing multiple errors on the modem logs that would need a service call to address. If you would like us to assist in setting up the service call, please let us know.

edited September 9 Sep 09, 2022

Thanks for the speedy response @James_M ! As I've previously stated I've already had two service calls and neither were able to address the issue. Could you elaborate on the errors on the modem logs? I'm concerned this is an issue with the node rather than something at my house, although we could try swapping equipment if there was reason to believe that's where the issue lies.

Sep 09, 2022

Our records show only one recent service call (in the past week) and before that there was one a few months ago. The modem logs are showing excessive T3 errors for the uptime since the last restart. This indicates an issue that would require a service call to investigate further. While it is unusual to require repeat service calls, it is not outside the range of what we consider normal to resolve an issue.

Thanks!

Sep 14, 2022

@James_M the problem has exhibited itself a couple times this morning, I imagine it's the same T3 errors. Is there any way for you to look at another customer on this same node and see if they've also observed issues? The first technician seemed pretty adamant a problem didn't exist in my home and the second ran tests that showed satisfactory SnR prior to leaving.

The second technician mentioned the next thing he would have liked to try was running a new line from outside my house to inside, even though the SnR was only marginally better at my box. I'm not real keen on trying this, besides new equipment I can't think of anything else another technician would do here (as both the first and second technician re-terminated every cable, with the exception of the second tech not climbing the pole).

Sep 14, 2022

Hi @KCRedBeard,

I took a look at your modem logs and the local area. There are no area issues and the modem logs reflect a 9+ day uptime and only (2) T3 errors, which is exceptional and well within the range of normal. If it continues, we can cetainly assist with scheduling another service call or you may want to consider swapping the equipment. In the interim, restarting the modem may also help.

Sep 18, 2022

@James_M I swapped out my equipment on Friday and I've had several occurrences of the issue today. When you have time could you review my logs and see if the same T3 errors have been recorded? Today there's been 4 or 5 instances of a 60-120 seconds of all traffic not being able to leave the house. The behavior doesn't seem to coincide the introduction of any devices to he home, no changes to other infrastructure, etc, so it's a pretty strange situation.

• Renee_TRenee_T Posts: 327 Moderator
    Sep 19, 2022

@KCRedBeard

I am showing that the modem is showing a fairly high rate of timeouts after that equipment. We would recommend having another tech come out to track down the source of the timeouts and to see if potentially maintenance may be required at the pole/pedestal.

Additionally, I did take a look at the router as well and it looks like there were a lot of instances of the built in security software being triggered by ads that had been reported as having spyware or malware within their code. This can also cause connection issues. If you aren't already using an ad blocker on your browser, I would recommend trying one to see if that helps the stability of the connection for you.

Sep 19, 2022

Thanks @Renee_T for that advice, although I've noticed the issue will occur regardless of the content using the internet connection.

Since I've had technicians come out twice, one re-terminating every connection including the pole, the other just re-terminating every other connection aside from the pole, I'm concerned about what another technician would be responsible for finding at my location.

Each technician has been rather thorough and are able to complete tests showing satisfactory numbers prior to them leaving. The problem is; the issue is transient and isn't presented while they are testing. I have a suspicion that if I took my router outside to the pedestal and bypassed all the wiring in my house the issue would persist. Is that really a necessary step?

Sep 20, 2022

@KCRedBeard

Yes, at this point another service call would be the next step. Let us know if you would like assistance getting it set up.

Sep 20, 2022

@James_M I can appreciate the interest in sending out another technician to try to fix my issue but it hasn't been effective thus far. Both technicians have done almost the exact same work and neither influenced the situation.

If there was some other procedure that could occur at my location that would make sense to work towards resolution I would be all for it... I just don't understand what that could be. Previous testing passed inside the house, at the pedestal and at the pole.

• William_MWilliam_M Posts: 396 Moderator
    Sep 21, 2022

Intermittent problems sometimes do take multiple appointments to resolve, especially if the problem is not present when the technician is testing. We can still always work towards a solution through a process of elimination, but when the appointments are months apart the next technician pretty much has to start over from step one. Repeat appointments scheduled for the same problem within a short time frame are automatically escalated. We highly recommend scheduling another appointment to resolve this issue. Please let us know if you change your mind about setting that up.

Sep 21, 2022

@William_M well unless a technician was here while the problem presented itself I'm not sure what steps could be taken to make progress towards resolving the issue. I'm quite positive if I take my modem outside and hook it up directly at the pedestal I'll continue to have this problem, if I do that could I then get someone to look at my issue and not want to schedule a technician to come to my house since that would verify the problem does not exist inside my home?

The last technician suggested the last thing that could be done at my house is run a new wire from the pedestal to inside my home. I'm extremely skeptical that the wire from the pedestal to the inside of the house could be causing this issue. Again, both technicians were satisfied with the SnR testing that was performed inside the home. In fact, one of the technicians showed me the quality of the node and said "Look at these reductions in the signal strength across the whole node, there is interference on this node that is most likely causing your issue".

If anyone in this support chain structure could tell me what they believe could be done here at my house, rather than just ask that I am unable to work while a third person comes and re-terminates my cables I'd be willing to entertain that. Otherwise I guess I can take my equipment outside, hook it up at the pedestal to prove that the problem is with the delivery of the signal to my pole and has nothing to do with my actual property.