Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

How to address uncorrected errors & frequent outages?

LeawoodTRLeawoodTR Posts: 10 Spectator
edited September 7 in Connectivity Sep 07, 2022

Earlier I reset my Motorola MB 7420 modem and my Asus router. Since then I have had these errors and Event Log entries. The symptoms I experience are frequent Hulu buffering and, usually, short-term internet outages.

Speedtest a little over 300, up from 200 after the upgrade from Spectrum.

The issues existed before the speed upgrade, maybe better after the upgrade. I have had a tech visit and the system was OK to the extent he could test (very new tech).

What is wrong?

Best Answer

• James_MJames_M Posts: 3,641 ADMIN
    edited September 14 Sep 14, 2022 Answer ✓

Thanks for the update and glad to hear the service is working correctly again!

If you left feedbackl through a survey, it will definitely be forwarded. We will also be sure to pass along the feedback about your experience with the techs.

Keep us in mind if you have questions about your service in the future.

Replies

• Lyn_TLyn_T Posts: 40 Moderator
    Sep 07, 2022

Good evening @LeawoodTR and Welcome to our Community Forums.

I am sorry to learn about the concerns with your internet. I was able to locate your account with your registration information. I am seeing some drops in signal being reported by the modem. Has anything changed in the wiring? Added, moved, or removed anything? When you get a chance can you check to make sure nothing is loose to the modem/router?

-Lyn

• LeawoodTRLeawoodTR Posts: 10 Spectator
    Sep 08, 2022

No changes. Connections are few and all good and checked and torqued by the tech who was here a couple of weeks ago.

I'm pretty sure the problem is outside my house. The tech said he wasn't allowed to open the pod in the backyard. He did a health check and it tested OK. Of course, no problems were present while he was here. Then I did not have this modem info to present to him.

• Paul_BPaul_B Posts: 535 Moderator
    Sep 08, 2022

Hello @LeawoodTR and thank you for following up with us.

When you lose connection, do you happen to notice if the lights on the modem change at all?

Thank you.

Paul_B

Sep 08, 2022

The modem lights change - the round "earth-like" internet connection light goes off. It blinks when it's trying to connect, solid green when connected, and off when disconnected.

The attached file lists some of the recent outage periods. 0 represents outages of less than 60 seconds, but more than 1 second.

Thank you and Lyn for your interest in this issue.

• Paul_BPaul_B Posts: 535 Moderator
    Sep 08, 2022

Thank you for that spreadsheet. I took a look at your modem and I am seeing where it is timing out and losing connection. I also looked at the uncorrected errors, it is normal to have some uncorrected errors, at this time I do not believe that these uncorrected errors are causing your connection issues, however, there is something going on signal wise that is causing your modem to go offline.

I would like to schedule another tech to come out to look into this again. If this is something you would like us to setup, please let us know and we can reach out to you via PM to get that setup.

Thank you.

Paul_B

Sep 08, 2022

Yes, I would like another tech visit.

I just had a 3 min outage at about 2:30. BTW, the Event Log time is just about exactly one hour incorrect. 13:33:00 is actually 14:33:00 local time (Central Time with Daylight Savings).

There was another outage about an hour earlier.

Below is a simple screenshot of the Event Log.

• Randy_SRandy_S Posts: 367 Moderator
    Sep 08, 2022

Hey everyone, Just wanted to jump in here and say that I also looked up your equipment with information used in your registration for this community and see you have an older modem running docsis 3.0 firmware. Our system has moved to utilizing as a base docsis 3.1+, Did you want to try to upgrade your firmware on your modem first. I see, some concerns in your modem's health history so we may want to go ahead and get that tech appointment set up. Just wanted to throw that out there before we set up the tech appointment in case it is your modem that might be having the problem.

Either way you would like to progress of course we would be glad to help with.

Nice to meet you!

Randy

Sep 09, 2022

OK, I will look into the firmware to 3.1. Or maybe another modem. Will advise.

Sep 09, 2022

There is no user upgrade for the MB7420 cable modem. It is still included in the list of Spectrum-approved modems for up to 300Mbps. I am not willing to buy an approx $200 modem on speculation that it might solve the connectivity issues.

My Spectrum internet was totally OK until a few months ago. Something might have changed, but not on my end.

Sep 09, 2022

Let's proceed with the tech appt. Is it possible a tech would benefit from or understand the modem data and outage record?

Thanks.

Sep 09, 2022
  • William_MWilliam_M Posts: 396 Moderator
    Sep 09, 2022

@LeawoodTR I will reach out to you via a private message from our Community_Help handle to verify we have the correct account information for you and schedule the appointment. Please look for that message by clicking on the envelope to the top-right of this page.

Sep 09, 2022

Using my phone, internet has been down about 4 hours.

Contacted support, now have tech appointment for Tuesday September 13.

Bad situation, hope I get a more experienced tech.

• Randy_SRandy_S Posts: 367 Moderator
    Sep 12, 2022

I understand and let us know how it goes if you need further assistance after the tech appointment

Randy

edited September 14 Sep 14, 2022

Follow up: Yesterday the Spectrum techs came and checked my system and installed some new cable ends outside and at the pod.

The change is dramatic.

Previously the modem log would record thousands of corrected and uncorrected errors in a few hours. The modem log would post many errors and warnings and my internet connection app would reveal many outages, most, but not all, brief, throughout the day and night.

Now I have zero errors, no errors or warnings, and zero internet outages over about 22 hours. The problem is fixed.

I wish I could communicate this info to the tech, Randall. You know, for some positive reinforcement. Also, it would be beneficial if my first (inexperienced) tech learned what fixed my system.

I left positive feedback and a message, don't know if he will actually get it.

Terry

Leawood, KS 66209