Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Unable to login to "Out-of-Home" Public WiFi Hotspots

bscivolettebscivolette Posts: 2 Spectator
edited September 9 in Connectivity Sep 07, 2022

I am a Spectrum customer with home Internet. As such, I am supposed to be able to access Spectrum's public WiFi hotspots by logging into my customer account when connected to one of these hotspots. I was able to do this as expected for several years, but not any longer. Now, when I access a Spectrum public hotspot, I follow the 'customer sign-in' link, sign into my account, and then I get an "Unable to Connect" error. This happens EVERY time, and it happens at EVERY Spectrum hotspot I try. Since this started I have tried to connect to more than 15 different hotspots, all with the same result.

I've reached out to tech support but they have proven useless. Both times I called I was told that it was a problem with the hotspot itself; obviously that cannot be the case given that I have tried 15+ different hotspots around the Tampa area.

For reference, I always connect to the "Spectrum Free Trial" hotspot. I then wait for the network splash screen to come up, at which time I am given the option to sign-in as a Spectrum customer (which gives unlimited access to the hotspot) or to try the hotspot for 30 minutes (for non-Spectrum customers). Of course, I choose the customer sign-in option, enter my login credentials, and this is when I get the "unable to connect" error. 

And before anyone asks- YES, I am using the correct Spectrum login information. I can access my Spectrum customer account just fine.

So, given that I am unlikely to get ahold of anyone at Spectrum that has any clue what is happening here, has anyone in this community has the same problem?

Best Answer

Replies

• James_MJames_M Posts: 3,641 ADMIN
    Sep 07, 2022

Hi and Welcome!

I have a couple follow-up questions to start:

• You mention that you used to be able to access out of home WiFi, when was the last time you were able to access and has anything on your accoutn changed since then?
    • What device are you using and do you have a WiFi profile installed?
    • Have you tried a different device?
    • Is your home / internet service part of an HOA?

• bscivolettebscivolette Posts: 2 Spectator
    Sep 07, 2022

Hi James,

Great questions! Here are my answers:

1. I was able to login to Spectrum Wifi hotspots (specifically, the "Spectrum Free Trial" ones) without issue until some point in June 2022. Yes, something on my account did change! I had a 12-month offer for home internet that ended towards the end of June (2022). I called Spectrum and spoke to the retention team and they extended the offer for another year. From my perspective the plan I have now is the exact same as it was a year ago (same speed, price, etc), but I find it awfully coincidental that my ability to login to WiFi hotspots ended right about the same time. Note: I thought this could be my issue, like maybe they put me on a plan that no longer included WiFi hotspots, and I called Spectrum about this as well (in addition to my support calls mentioned earlier). The lady I spoke with said that all Internet plans have access to WiFi hotspots and that, according to my account history, I am on the exact same plan as I was the previous year, they just added a discount to my rate so I continue to pay the same amount
    2. My many attempts to connect to Spectrum hotspots have been divvied up amongst various devices. I did this on purpose to rule out that it was a device specific issue. I've tried from two cell phones (one Android and one iPhone), a laptop, and a desktop PC (my office PC picks up a "Spectrum Free Trial" hotspot). I tried using the Spectrum app and the WiFi profile on both mobile devices but I was never able to get them to work (I properly set up the profile in the app but the hotspots didn't recognize it and when I tried to connect manually it didn't work)
    3. Per above, I've tried (4) at this point
    4. My home Internet is not part of an HOA

• James_MJames_M Posts: 3,641 ADMIN
    Sep 08, 2022

@bscivolette,

Thanks for the thorough reply and additional information, it really helps narrow down the issue. I am in contact with one of our contacts in WiFi management (they also saw your post on Reddit) and they believe that there might be a provisioning issue with the modem. I am going to send you a private message from our @Community_Help handle to get some additional details about your device. This will allow us to see why you are getting an error when you attempt to log in.

Look for my message in the next few minutes.

This discussion has been closed.