Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Packet loss between local modem and first router

dravenousdravenous Posts: 1 Newcomer
in Connectivity Sep 16, 2022

Hey guys,

I have a tech coming tomorrow to see if they can fix this issue but I've been experiencing some packet loss, primarily noticeable when online gaming. And I was hoping that I could post some of the test results here in an attempt to provide guidance to the technician when he arrives and save him/her the trouble of trying to diagnose the issue. I'm not sure if this is the best way to get me information to them but I thought I'd try. I have experienced issues outside of gaming too but it's most obvious when I'm playing something where the information is flowing rapidly. I reached out to the company where I play the game directly to make sure that it wasn't at their end and they helped diagnose the problem from a series of tests including WinMTR. This was their comments..

"Based on those test results, it looks like all of these show the same issue and there is packet loss issues between your local modem and the first ISP router. This also matches the issues you've been seeing in game, as any amount of packet loss will multiply your average latency since the server has to notice the missed data packets between you and the server, and then correct that which can take upwards of 100-300 ms which pretty much exactly matches the problems you've been seeing in game.

We can see data being lost at hop 2 in the test, and this continues throughout the rest of the test which indicates this is a legitimate problem and not a device that has been configured to deprioritize test packets. Since this affected all the different tests in the same place, this is something you will need to contact your ISP about as they should be able to investigate if that router is congested or needs to be reconfigured to prevent that packet loss."

Attaching the reports here 

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• Renee_TRenee_T Posts: 327 Moderator
    Sep 17, 2022

Hello @dravenous

Welcome to our community! For the most part our technicians don't have active accounts in our community, though a few of them do post in here occasionally. Since it is an in-home technician scheduled, you would be able to show them the trace routes and the information you were provided or show them this post. Please let us know how the appointment goes for you!

• HT_GreenfieldHT_Greenfield Posts: 67 Contributor
    Sep 17, 2022

Just for whatever it's worth, those comments from Blizzard don't seem to be related to those stats. The only significant loss or latency appears to be on one of the as57976.net hops. Whoever or whatever that is (it's privately registered) would presumably be some kind of carrier that's somehow affiliated with Spectrum or possibly even Blizzard. Here's a pretty good WinMTR tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hna09yZ6R-U