Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Frequently Asked Questions

(Quick links to the current most searched topics)
How can I pause and rewind live TV using the Spectrum TV app?
Spectrum TV App Supported Devices

Packet loss since hurricane Ian

bookertabookerta Posts: 13 Participant
edited November 15 in Connectivity Oct 09, 2022

Hi,

I'm experiencing a crazy amount of packet loss since hurricane Ian came through my area. Is it possible to get this looked into? It's affecting video streaming, gaming, voice and video chat.

Here are some traceroute stats from tonight 10/9/2022:

Thanks

Tagged:

Replies

• Renee_TRenee_T Posts: 386 Moderator
    Oct 10, 2022

Hello @bookerta

Welcome to our community! We can definitely get an appointment set up for you. I'm going to send you a PM to get some information that we would need in order to set that up.

• HT_GreenfieldHT_Greenfield Posts: 139 Contributor
    edited October 10 Oct 10, 2022

My bad if i’m mistaken but i don’t see how you can attribute any of that apparent packet loss to anything beyond that first hop which i believe is from your linux device to your router. That’s bound to factor into any succeeding hops and incidentally fluctuate as it does so. What kind of a router is that? Do you have a different linux or Windows device with which you could bypass the router and connect directly to the WAN via Ethernet and try to run either MTR or WinMTR that way?

• bookertabookerta Posts: 13 Participant
    Oct 10, 2022

The traceroute is from the router. It is a Ubiquity Edgerouter Lite plugged into the modem with ethernet. I've already checked the ethernet cable. But yes, Edgerouters do run Linux.

Oct 10, 2022

Here's another example from this morning via macbook pro + apple usb ethernet:

• Randy_SRandy_S Posts: 401 Moderator
    Oct 10, 2022

Good morning @bookerta! I see one of our moderators here has set up a tech appointment for you and sent a private message with the details. Respond to that private message if we need to update/change anything. Otherwise, let us know how the tech appointment goes!

Randy

Oct 10, 2022

The tech came and tested the lines on site and said everything looked good. When he left he mentioned he thought the problem was upstream. Right when he departed, the internet was completely out. Since then it's been much much worse, to the point now that it's unusable.

What do we do now?

• Renee_TRenee_T Posts: 386 Moderator
    Oct 11, 2022

I took a look at the notes from the technician and it looks like there was some emergency maintenance going on in the area that was causing an interruption of services while the technician was there. This would have caused the issues you were seeing after the technician left. I show that things were completed a little bit ago, how are the services working for you now?

Oct 11, 2022

It seems I'm still dropping packets, sadly. It's also still impacting various applications especially streaming.

I'm not sure what else to do.

Oct 11, 2022

Worse now D:

• James_MJames_M Posts: 3,772 ADMIN
    Oct 11, 2022

Hi,

The next steps would be to schedule another service call. If you need assistance getting this set up, please let us know.

Oct 11, 2022

I do not intend to sound rude here - but if the previous tech found nothing wrong on the premises, what would scheduling another service call accomplish? Is it possible to get someone from the back-end involved in the troubleshooting? Network engineering?

I rely on the internet as a work from home employee and currently the quality of service I have does not facilitate this.

Thank you for all your help thus far!

Oct 11, 2022

I understand the frustration, but sometimes issues require multiple service calls to get resolved.

Scheduling a repeat service call will also flag the local dispatch. If needed, the technician can then make a referral to the local maintenance team for additional follow up.

Alternately, if you would like to provide three tracerts to three different url's, it will help us identify if there is also a network issue that needs to be addressed.

Oct 11, 2022

If you could schedule another appointment for a service call that'd be fantastic.

I will provide traceroutes in the following post.

Oct 11, 2022

Thanks for the reply. Please see your private messages for more information.

Since you are currently experiencing an outage at your location, please hold off on providing any tracerts until you recieve notificaiton that the outage has cleared.

Thanks again.

Oct 11, 2022

I received a phone call saying the outage was over. Restarted my modem and router, but I'm still having issues. Here's the new traceroutes:

google.com

yandex.ru

nasa.gov

Any help is appreciated.

Oct 12, 2022

Same deal this morning :(

Oct 12, 2022

Sorry for the delay and ongoing issues. I was able to schedule another service call for you. I've sent a private message with the details.

Oct 12, 2022

The tech came and replaced the modem and a splitter. Said the lines and signals look great. He just left and things were looking stellar --

up until about ~5:20pm. --

Unsure what to do next.

Oct 13, 2022

Can you bypass the router and plug in directly to the modem and provide another trace route from the command prompt, possibly even with a different device?

Oct 13, 2022

We tried 2 different routers and replaced ethernet cables yesterday while the tech was here.

The first one was a spectrum unit, the second was my Ubiquity Edgerouter Lite. After he left I tried a third older unit I had around the house which is essentially a pfSense box.

All units produced near identical amount of packet loss during the same time frames.

This morning the problem appears to have resolved itself overnight!? I'm looking at 0's across the "packet loss" board.

Will update later in the day if anything changes.

Again, thank you for everyones help on this - it is very much appreciated!

edited October 13 Oct 13, 2022

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear it appears back to normal. Let us know if anything changes..

Oct 14, 2022

Looking good all day. Thanks again everyone!

This discussion has been closed.