Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Frequently Asked Questions

(Quick links to the current most searched topics)
How can I pause and rewind live TV using the Spectrum TV app?
Spectrum TV App Supported Devices

Anyone else notice their DVR responses being slow to the remote and live FF & REW being choppy?

Tom63010Tom63010 Posts: 37 Contributor
in TV Equipment Oct 21, 2022

I have always appreciated the quick responses from my DVR to commands but lately, I suspect after a software update, sometimes after selecting a rewind speed I have to wait a couple seconds it for the rewind to stop. I have two DVRs that are now acting the same way so I don't believe that both have gone bad at the same time.

One of the cool features is the ability to pause, rewind, pause, then foward at 1/4 speed. It is awesome to see a slow motion replay before the broadcast has time to show theirs. Then to show their slow motion replay at 1/4 speed is the greatest! .....Well it used to be.

They almost act like I am controlling a remote device over the Internet. I have put fresh Duracell batteries in my remote.

I really wish Spectrum, well all programmers in general could figure out how to change/upgrade certain functions without breaking ones that are working that are unrelated to the change/upgrade! 😡

Replies

• William_MWilliam_M Posts: 442 Moderator
    Oct 21, 2022

Hi @Tom63010, while it is unlikely both DVRs would go bad at the same time, it is possible especially if there was any kind of power surge. Before jumping to any conclusions, I recommend rebooting your cable receivers by removing their power cord for 30 seconds before plugging it back in. Please let us know if the issue persists afterward.

• dannyodannyo Posts: 2 Spectator
    Oct 28, 2022

I have the same problem on two dvr's. Replaced the and had a service call,

Issue not resolved

• Tom63010Tom63010 Posts: 37 Contributor
    Oct 28, 2022

It is Spectrum making software changes.

Oct 28, 2022

As to the suggestion to power off my DVR I actually powered it down for over an hour and still the issue persists.

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,754 Contributor
    Oct 29, 2022

My suggestion,

If you are having this issue, power off everything for several minutes, and unplug your units for at least one minute as the mods have suggested.

If you have already done this post your city, state, and zip code, and the mods can check if there is an issue with slow DVR response times in your area.

Satch

Oct 29, 2022

Arnold, MO 63010

Oct 29, 2022

Thank you @Tom63010. I am going to reach out via private message from our Community_Help handle so that we can look into this further. You can see private messages by clicking the envelope on the top right of this page.

• dannyodannyo Posts: 2 Spectator
    Oct 30, 2022

Tech just left. Before anything i showed him the posts and he said result from software upgrade. Went on to verify that singles and everything else was ok. Three weeks ago had a different tech tell me the same thing. Called back customer support they say they have no bulletins on the issue and want to send out a super duper tech. Make no sense

Oct 30, 2022

My tech is scheduled for Tuesday morning. Not expecting it to be fixed. Still certain it is a software update that caused the change in behavior.

edited October 30 Oct 30, 2022

Guys,

If you are affected by the slow DVR response time, keep posting your issues here with your city, state, and zip code. I am not affected presently,

However, if this is a software update issue. there should be a message when you log into your account (like there is for service outages) that says:

"Customers may notice some slowness of their DVR's due to a software update. Spectrum is aware of this issue, and is working on a fix."

This way, people will know what it is, and there isn't wasted time on the phone trying to detect an issue that has already been explained. I am just submitting feedback here.

With the slowdown, have any customers been changed over to the new Spectrum Guide, where you now have a different guide on your box, or is the guide software the same?

@Tom63010, I agree with you, I don't think anything will change with this service call.

Another thing you guys can do is the following:

1.) In addition to posting your city, state, and zip, post the make and model of your box.

2.) Post the guide software running on your box. To find this, Google Search the following:

A.) Google- "What guide do I have?", Spectrum

B.) One of the first results will be a page where you can enter your street address and zip. When you click on that, you will see the program guides that run on the boxes in your area.

Keep us posted if anything changes.

Satch

Oct 31, 2022

Another idea,

The box update could have done something with the remote sensor. Those with service calls for slowness of DVR response times, might want to ask the technician for a different model remote to see if it makes a difference.

If he swaps out your remote, post the model number of the remote that you got as a replacement

For those with DVR slowdowns before your service call, what remote are you using. This page of remotes will tell you the brands that are available:

I don't think this is a widespread issue because than it would be noted as such when people called in and that currently is not the case. Maybe people are just "living with the slowdown and not reporting it."

If two techs (so far) said this was due to a software update, that's probably the reason. But it would seem to reason that more people would be affected.

Satch

Oct 31, 2022

I am using the old

1060BC2/1060BC3

remotes. Since the last I had to replace a cable box this summer due to a lightning strike I was given a "new" box that was a model that was 10 years old I don't expect the tech is going to have the latest and greatest remote either.

Oct 31, 2022

Tom,

Thanks for this information. Are you in a former Time Warner Cable market (TWC) or Brighthouse Networks market (BHN market?) Or are you in a legacy Charter market? In other words, how was the company identified before the Spectrum take over?

Unfortunately, the legacy Charter markets still are giving out the older boxes. (Only two tuner DVR's.) The latest model from Spectrum is a Word Box, (no clock on the panel) with four tuners. But all areas don't have it yet. You should ask your tech if World Boxes are out in your market and try to get that, as they have the latest technology and are paired with the newest remotes.

What model box do you have?

Satch

edited October 31 Oct 31, 2022

Yep, legacy Charter, St. Louis, MO

DCX3501MHD-DVR & DCX3520-MHD-DVR

Oct 31, 2022

Tom,

What guide runs on your box? The DCX 3501 is an older box. Not so much with the DCX3520. I think this was a software update. But stumped as to why more people would not be having problems in your area? Try to get a different model remote and have the tech program it for your TV..

I would also recommend a surge protector for all your TV equipment and plug your devices into that. Otherwise, you won't have protection against lightning strikes and power surges, which can take out anything. They will last for an average of about six to eight years, and should be used to avoid problems like the one that destroyed your box.

Satch

Nov 01, 2022

DCX3501MHD-DVR & DCX3520-MHD-DVR

edited November 1 Nov 01, 2022

I had a tech that just came from Spectrum. I showed him what how my pause, rewind, and fast forward was working and he said that is normal. In fact he said he has relatives in California that have the World boxes and when you rewind or fast forward they are choppy, skipping frames, just like my old neanderthal boxes do!

Proving what I have said all along the issue is with a software change Spectrum has made. And....when you fix your software so that rewind and fast forward is smooth AGAIN add back the selection of 1080P resolution!

Nov 01, 2022

@William_M Did you see the update above?

Nov 02, 2022

Hi @Tom63010 , I'm very sorry to hear he didn't find a problem that we could fix. I can definitely forward feedback about the framerate during fast forward and rewind, as well as the resolution.

edited November 2 Nov 02, 2022

@William_M This is an issue with the program on the servers that provide live TV pause and rewind. Something has changed that has caused the rewind and fast forward to change from smooth to frame skipping. In addition the response times of commands used to be immediate now there is a delay sometimes as much as 2 to 3 seconds. Also, which I didn't mention before sometimes during rewind a message will pop up that this channel is not available and will be available shortly. Something has caused issue and I can't believe that other people haven't complained.

Nov 02, 2022

Guys,

Although not affected by Tom's issue, over the years with my experiences helping customers with cable I have heard of this delayed response time, however, more so with changing channels on the remote than choppy RR/FF skipping. That delay of 2-3 seconds may not seem like much to a layperson, (Which could mean why others have not complained in Tom's node) But to someone with tech experience like many of us on these forums, you know the time interval on the delay is there and it can be annoying.

Maybe the average person does not want a service call over what they see is a little thing. But since this appears to be a software update that made things worse, I personally will treat it as an issue.

Tom, some questions for you about the delays:

1.) Is channel changing affected at all? If you aim the remote at the box and press just for example "127", does the banner show up right away along with the button press?

2.) Is there a new several second delay between seeing the banner and the channel actually changing?

3.) Please provide the guide version that runs on your box (Google Search, "What Guide do I have?", Spectrum ) Go to like the first result and enter your street address at Spectrum's page, if not sure of your guide. As a legacy Charter subscriber, you are probably running Spectrum Guide or maybe I-Guide but we need to know for sure as part of the feedback.

4.) When you browse in the time grid cells of your guide, is there any delay there with the indicator moving and selecting channels?

5.) How is the responsiveness to On Demand Selections of channels and menu navigation? I ask this about On Demand, because everything about On Demand comes from Spectrum's server side and gets downloaded to the box for specified time intervals, usually 24-48 hours. Test some free On Demand shows and there response times to the remote, both in terms of FF/RW and channel selection. Note that some stations disable FF on some On Demand content.

6.) Or is this only an issue with Fast-Forward/Rewind and not channel changing or menu navigation?

7.) Finally, when was the date, even approximately that all of this started with both of your boxes?

Satch

Nov 03, 2022

I had checked and the guide is Spectrum guide. I have delay issues with on demand and guide.

Nov 03, 2022

I shouldn't have replied on my iPhone. I have checked and the guide is Spectrum guide. I have NO delay issues with on demand and guide. On Demand and DVD recordings FF & REW smoothly, no frame skipping.

I want to say that this started about the end of baseball regular season, so about a month.

edited November 3 Nov 03, 2022

I put out on Nextdoor a solicitation whether anyone has this issue and this one was most relevant:

Jo W.

• Lilac Ridge

I am not sure if they ever fixed it but their boxes weren't compatible with new system. They patched it but it caused a lot of issues like you are speaking of. They said they couldn't get the new boxes to work with the system either but it should only be a few months.... I put up with it for years and finally just switched to AT&T.

Of course I got a lot a suggestions about what streaming services to switch to. Of course one the commenters went silent when he was asked how he watched Cardinal and Blues games.