Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Frequently Asked Questions

(Quick links to the current most searched topics)
How can I pause and rewind live TV using the Spectrum TV app?
Spectrum TV App Supported Devices

Popup - HBO Max App Access on World Box Ending 1/10/2023?

catchtwentytwocatchtwentytwo Posts: 86 Contributor
edited January 10 in Channels & Programming Dec 08, 2022

We have 210H World Boxes running New Spectrum Guide. Been using the HBO Max App on the STB for some time without issue. However we've begun to get a popup at logon that says as of 1/10/2023 HBO Max will be unavailable on this device (see below). I reboot the STB yesterday and it just reappeared.

So is HBO Max APP access ending on Spectrum STBs on 1/10/23? Has anyone else gotten this message?

Replies

• Tyleen_ZTyleen_Z Posts: 528 Moderator
    Dec 09, 2022

Hello,

Yes the access via the cable box will end in January. You will still be able to use the HBO Max app on their website and supported devices. The on demand library and the HBO channels will also not be affected.

-Tyleen

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,861 Contributor
    Dec 09, 2022

@Tyleen_Z,

Thank you for this information. Very helpful. Can you share if this was a decision made by HBO or by Spectrum?

Satch

• Tyleen_ZTyleen_Z Posts: 528 Moderator
    Dec 09, 2022

We have not been given that information as this was something that was just announced.

-Tyleen

• catchtwentytwocatchtwentytwo Posts: 86 Contributor
    Dec 09, 2022

Hi Tyleen:

Does Spectrum plan to add another streaming app to replace it? I found this article that says HBO Max will become Discovery+ in the spring of 2023. https://variety.com/2022/streaming/news/hbo-max-discovery-plus-subscribers-q3-1235422137/

Thanks

• Renee_TRenee_T Posts: 416 Moderator
    Dec 10, 2022

Hello @catchtwentytwo

At this time the networks have provided details on the app model yet. Currently both networks have different pricing and policies. For example, HBO allows customers who subscribe to traditional cable or satellite packages that include HBO to log in using their provider information. Discovery+ is a separate addon streaming service, so even if you are subscribed to Discovery channels, you cannot use your provider login information, they require you to purchase a separate subscription for the app. They have not announced yet which model the next app that combines the two will use.

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,861 Contributor
    Dec 10, 2022

Sup @catchtwentytwo ?

I echo what @Renee_T said. HBO Max and Discovery+ are planning a merger in the Spring of 2023. But for now they are separate app services. The sad part is that there might be a price increase for the app when they consolidate in the future. but hopefully it will be small.

My own feedback is that I won't be thrilled if the HBO name is taken away. The recent article I read was there is talk of it being called just "Max." Personally, if I was on that committee, I would call it "HBO Discovery!" It's absolutely perfect! Both company names are mentioned in the titles, and when people select the service, they see both types of programing.

Satch

This discussion has been closed.