Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Frequently Asked Questions

(Quick links to the current most searched topics)
How can I pause and rewind live TV using the Spectrum TV app?
Spectrum TV App Supported Devices

Does the current issue router in San Antonio require a cell phone?

old_texanold_texan Posts: 44 Contributor
edited January 10 in Connectivity Dec 09, 2022

After my last Q was answered, I decided to take the old RAC2V1k router back to Spectrum for a later model. But - - - - I don't have a smart phone. I have a flip phone, and it gets and makes calls which is all I need right now.

My understanding -- from reading answers here -- is that the new routers require a SPectrum app and a cell phone. I just want to go to 192.168.0.1 with my browser and set the SSID.

I'll have to upgrade to a cell phone in the future, I'm sure, but right now it's not cool for Spectrum to requjire me to do that.

Any word on routers from anyone in South Texas?

Best Answer

• Renee_TRenee_T Posts: 416 Moderator
    Dec 10, 2022 Answer ✓

Hello @old_texan

The new routers do require set up or changes to be done through our website or the My Spectrum app and does not offer a log in page at 192.168.0.1 like previous routers. If you are able to connect a device using the ethernet connection, you would be able to visit the site to make those changes even if you have not made any changes to the router settings yet.

Replies

• Tyleen_ZTyleen_Z Posts: 528 Moderator
    Dec 09, 2022

Hello,

I do apologize for the issues. For the new advanced wifi routers do require the My Spectrum app to update some of the settings. However the SSID and password can be updated by going to the online account page and logging into your online account. You then would go to Your Services at the top then Manage Network.

-Tyleen

• old_texanold_texan Posts: 44 Contributor
    Dec 09, 2022

Tyleen ---

One further question. If the router is down or inoperable, then there is no way to get to the "Online Account" page. Again, doesn't this require a cell-phone? If I can't get to the internet, I can't get to my account.

Now if I connect to the router with an ethernet cable, will that work. Can I not just browse for 192.168.0.1 as I did before?

• Tyleen_ZTyleen_Z Posts: 528 Moderator
    Dec 11, 2022

Correct if you do not have internet access you cannot access the website. It does not necessarily require a cell phone but the My Spectrum app on a smart phone would still work if the router is offline but settings changes to the router would not go through until the router is back online anyways.

There is no access to the router using the IP address. If this is something you require or prefer you are welcome to purchase your own router.

-Tyleen

This discussion has been closed.