Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Frequently Asked Questions

(Quick links to the current most searched topics)
How can I pause and rewind live TV using the Spectrum TV app?
Spectrum TV App Supported Devices

Configuring a second Sagemcon router as a Wifi extender

AnthonyJKAnthonyJK Posts: 2 Spectator
edited January 18 in Connectivity Dec 17, 2022

l recently upgraded my Spectrum Internet wireless router to the latest updated service, and it required the installation of a new wireless router. However, I still have my previous router. Unfortunately, my new wireless router is set in a corner spot where the signal is deflected and weakened by the time it reaches my laptop. Would it be at all possible for me to set up my old router to run as a Wifi extender or access point for my other (main) router so that I can extend or strengthen the range of my wireless signal?

Also, if it is possible, would I require an Ethernet connection between the two routers, or could I run it completely wireless?

Best Answer

• William_MWilliam_M Posts: 535 Moderator
    Dec 17, 2022 Answer ✓

Hi @AnthonyJK, welcome to our community!

You wouldn't be able to use the old Spectrum router for that, but you can get one of our WiFi pods, which are wireless repeaters that don't require an ethernet cable, by calling 1-855-707-7328, or you can purchase your own router or mesh/whole house WiFi system.

Depending on your coverage needs, I'd recommend just starting with trying to reposition the router to a centrally located and open area, and/or as close to where you most frequently use the service. Unless you have a very large or multiple story home and expect full coverage wall to wall/basement to attic, a single well positioned router can satisfy most needs.

Replies

• AnthonyJKAnthonyJK Posts: 2 Spectator
    Dec 17, 2022

Thank you for your quick response.

My issues are that the location of my main router is generally fixed due to where the outlets are located. I will try out the wireless repeaters you offer.

One more inquiry: my main router is hardwired to a game system and computer that is used by another family member as well as used wirelessly for a large number of devices, including my laptop. Would that affect the range and speed of my Internet transmissions, even if I did add in the repeaters?

• William_MWilliam_M Posts: 535 Moderator
    Dec 17, 2022

Other connected devices won't affect range, though devices which emit their own radio signal can cause wireless interference that could become more disruptive at range.

This discussion has been closed.