Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Frequently Asked Questions

(Quick links to the current most searched topics)
How can I pause and rewind live TV using the Spectrum TV app?
Spectrum TV App Supported Devices

Ping Stability Issue due to Bad Server in Routing?

InternetIssuesInternetIssues Posts: 3 Spectator
edited January 18 in Connectivity Dec 17, 2022

I appear to be having ping stability issues due to a bad hop in the ISP networking. See Ping Plotter chart below:

Ignore the PL shown on Hop 1, it's a bug when using the program. Is there a specific way to report this issue?

Best Answer

• William_MWilliam_M Posts: 535 Moderator
    Dec 18, 2022 Answer ✓

One thing to keep in mind is that a traceroute runs a ping test to the IP of each hop, and the primary function of the hop is to forward data to the next hop, not respond to ping requests. Some hops may queue ping responses until they are less busy resulting in a delay, or not respond at all, but it does not necessarily mean it is having an issue forwarding your data. If any one hop was the cause of issues I would expect to see the same issue on every hop after. You can see that your maximum response time to the destination IP was 75ms-87.5ms, so it wouldn't be possible for any one hop to actually be adding 200ms+ of latency along the way. The biggest factor in ping is just your distance to the server, and based on these IPs it looks like the server you are testing to is 1,100+ miles away with a direct route (so likely a further distance for the actual signal) so a round trip time of 0.052 seconds (52ms average ping) is pretty good.

These tests aside, can you elaborate exactly what issues you are encountering when using the internet which prompted you to run them in the first place?

Replies

• Renee_TRenee_T Posts: 416 Moderator
    Dec 18, 2022

Hello @InternetIssues

Welcome to our community! With latency issues it can be a little tricky. While the 244ms is an outlier overall, the average latency is only 17ms, which doesn't indicate a consistent issue. Typically if you were seeing an average latency over 400 or 500, we would be able to escalate it for investigation, but if it's just one trace out of the series being ran, it can be that there was momentary congestion or a spike in bandwidth on that server causing the issue and then it resolved. Around what time of day was that run?

• InternetIssuesInternetIssues Posts: 3 Spectator
    Dec 18, 2022

This one was ~6:30 pm (Timestamp and duration is in the bottom right of the image). This run was at 11 pm .5 sec interval for <2 mins. It seems oddly consistent on that one hop. I can run again tomorrow morning when there's lower traffic to see if it holds.

• InternetIssuesInternetIssues Posts: 3 Spectator
    Dec 18, 2022

I'm having packet loss on online servers (one in Dallas and one in St Louis). Doesn't appear to be a server issue as nobody else who connects has PL issues. I'm digging around to see if I can find the route cause but I have not had any luck yet.

• William_MWilliam_M Posts: 535 Moderator
    Dec 18, 2022

Only those two servers? Are they game servers?

Your tests above to 207.38.95.6 shows only 0.5% packet loss on one test (0% on the other,) and that only occured on the final hop indicating it came from the server itself. Are you seeing more packet loss than this elsewhere? What are you using to measure it?

This discussion has been closed.