Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Frequently Asked Questions

(Quick links to the current most searched topics)
How can I pause and rewind live TV using the Spectrum TV app?
Spectrum TV App Supported Devices

Why can't I connect my modem via coax when I have AT&T fiber?

FletcherFletcher Posts: 1 Newcomer
edited January 24 in Home Networking Dec 28, 2022

I have AT&T Fiber at my house. Bought a Spectrum internet package to use purely for WFH because my main network had too much traffic and was slowing me down. When I go to connect my modem to any coax port in my house it won't connect. What is the issue?

Replies

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,861 Contributor
    Dec 28, 2022

Hi @Fletcher ,

I am not an athority on Internet, but you would have to have a Spectrum modem/ either a Spectrum router, or your own WIFI router connected to Spectrum's network. Spectrum modems are provided at no charge, and rented WIFI is $5.00/mo. You would than have one network for AT&T Fiber and one for Spectrum Internet. But the network that you use for Spectrum has to be all Spectrum equipment that you either rent from them, or compatible that you own.

Satch

• Randy_SRandy_S Posts: 440 Moderator
    edited December 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Good evening, @Fletcher and welcome to the Spectrum Community.

It may be that another line needs to be run and/or another outlet activated. But, before getting into all of that, was our equipment just shipped to you for self install or did a tech go out there?

Also, did you sign up with Dish Network or something for tv service? If so, that would also take over the outside coax lines for their tv service.

If self install I am pretty sure a tech would need to come out there to activate another outlet in the home.. Anyone else with ideas, please speak up.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Randy

• SatchSatch Posts: 4,861 Contributor
    Dec 29, 2022

Sup @Randy_S ?

I agree with all of the above. Need to know if this is a pro tech install or self-install? Also, what other Spectrum services are on the account?

If there is a competitor service being used by the OP, I agree that a tech would probably need to come out, run a second line, and activate the modem. Obviously, outside work can't be done through a self-install, and I am thinking that outside tech work will be needed to activate the Spectrum equipment.

Satch

This discussion has been closed.