Before posting a new question, please check out our Internet / WiFi and Spectrum TV App troubleshooting pages for common issues, as well as useful information to include in your post.

Advanced Search Options

We have advanced search options to make it easier to locate posts, questions and answers on this community.
More information can be found at Advanced Search Options
If you are looking for something specific, please check if someone else has already asked or answered the same question.

Frequently Asked Questions

(Quick links to the current most searched topics)
How can I pause and rewind live TV using the Spectrum TV app?
Spectrum TV App Supported Devices

High ping rates. High Jitter. Disconnects from company phone server

mron19mron19 Posts: 9 Spectator
edited February 14 in Connectivity Jan 16, 2023

Hello all,

This has been an ongoing issues with multiple equipment changes and spectrum technicians trying to solve it. I have non stop momentary disconnects from my companies phone server. sometimes 50 a day. I went 3 months without issue and nothing has changed on my end. The last 3 months have been non stop disconnects. I am hardwired direct to the gateway and still having non stop issues. It is getting out of hand but given my location I have no other choice for ISP other than spectrum.

Replies

• Lyn_TLyn_T Posts: 84 Moderator
    Jan 17, 2023

Good evening @mron19 and Welcome to our Community Forums!

Thank you for reaching out to us about your internet connection. I am very sorry that you are experiencing the drops in your signal. I was able to locate your account with your registration information. I will need to ask a few questions to determine the best course of action. When the drops occur do the lights stay on solid on the modem or do they go off? Is this happening on all devices connected? When the technician was at your home was he able to see the drops? -Lyn

• mron19mron19 Posts: 9 Spectator
    Jan 17, 2023

I am on the other side of the house from the modem. I have had the modem and router replaced 3 times. A filter installed on the line and am now no longer using the spectrum router. I go from the gateway to a brand new Cat6 cable to a linksys gigabit switch. The problem mostly persists with my work computer connected to a VPN. The phone server boots me with anything higher than a 400ms ping. The techs never see the drops. I did ping your server yesterday for a while and after 30 minutes I did see atleast 1 timeout

Jan 17, 2023

I work for a very large company and my IT network engineers have not yet confirmed but are saying the issue is on spectrums end. I can work all day from my cell phone hot spot without issue. Connected to my home network I have nonstop issues.

• James_MJames_M Posts: 3,942 ADMIN
    Jan 17, 2023

What happens when you connect directly to the modem with the cat6 cabling and bypss the switch and VPN?

Jan 17, 2023

I am not able to bypass the VPN. I can work all day non stop on any other internet connection. The only place I have issues are on spectrums network.

Jan 17, 2023

My IT team says they see TCP resets and thats why I am losing connection to the server

edited January 17 Jan 17, 2023

We are not seeing any issues with the signal to the modem. The next step would need to be bypassing the VPN and gigabit switch to determine if the issue can be replicated. Let us know when you can do this step as well as the results.

As well, you mentioned you are hardwired into the gateway, can you describe the setup on your home network from coax to device?

Jan 17, 2023

I can not bypass my VPN. The phone server I am reaching is located in a DMZ outside of the VPN. I will remove the gigabit switch tomorrow from the equation. That will leave us with the coax going into the filter the tech installed which is connected to the provided gateway. I then go Cat6(which is brand new) to a switch and a cat5e cable to my laptop. I will connect directly to the cat6 tomorrow

edited January 17 Jan 17, 2023

When you refer to the "provided gateway" are you referencing the Technicolor modem or the Sagemcom router?

Jan 17, 2023

The cable modem. I have not looked to see what brand it is. We are currently not using the provided router.

Jan 17, 2023

Thanks. Let us know when you can test bypassing the switch.

Jan 18, 2023

Plugged straight into the spectrum modem I have no internet access. Its not even giving me an IP address.

• William_MWilliam_M Posts: 558 Moderator
    Jan 18, 2023

Please reboot the modem by removing the power cord for 30 seconds then plugging it back in, a reboot is needed any time you change what is connected directly to the modem.

• RAIST5150RAIST5150 Posts: 892 Contributor
    Jan 18, 2023

An important thing to discuss that may need to be addressed/ruled out with your IT peeps in the loop:

Sounds like the VPN is not necessary for access to the phone system (since it is in the DMZ).

That brings to mind a couple questions...

Is the VPN staying up, even though the access to the phone system is going down?

Is the VPN in a strict mode, or is local lan access allowed?

May sound unrelated, but these may be very important distinctions. If local LAN is not allowed, than you cannot connect directly to the phone system while you are using the VPN to connect to their network--you HAVE to tunnel to their network and then go back out to the phone system from the inside.

Knowing these key things may help identify where the packet snafus could be occurring, as well as where to look for potential remedy/workarounds.

Jan 20, 2023

As far as the VPN goes. I use cisco and webex is outside of the VPN so I am told. However we are also using Finesse UCCX and it requires the VPN to function. How could it be the VPN's fault when I have zero issues when working from my hotspot or other internet sources.

• Jaleesa_FJaleesa_F Posts: 64 Moderator
    Jan 20, 2023

Good morning @mron19

When there is an intermittent connection to a VPN, it is typically  because their is some packet loss. I have reviewed the modem diagnostics and although the modem is online, the modem has been timing out which typically causes intermittent connectivity. This is not something that can be resolved remotely.

I would like to send a technician out to address the connectivity issue. I will message you directly to set that up or you can reach out to Customer Service at 1-855-707-7328 to have that scheduled.

This discussion has been closed.