Restore unwatched shows that have disappeared

Options
RFMuser
RFMuser Posts: 7 Participant
edited September 2023 in Watch TV 2023 Archive

I had recorded three television shows, they had showed up in the recorded DVR list, however, now they are gone!  We did not delete these shows.  I can still see the folder title on my list but the recording is empty.  How can I get these recordings back so I can watch them? 

If that cannot happen, then how can these folder titles be removed from my list? I have already rebooted the system twice.  

White House Farm (recorded two episodes on 3-28-23)

A Very British Romance with Lucy Worsley (recorded one episode on2-5-23)

Answers

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,314 Contributor
    Options

Welcome to the Community @@RFMuser!

Just to confirm. Is this through a cable box DVR? If so, what is the make and model of your cable box? Also, what program guide does it run? If not sure about the guide, Google Search, "What guide do I have?", Spectrum, and go to the first Spectrum related site where you enter your address there. You will see the guides offered in your area.

Satch

• RFMuser
    Options

Yes these shows are recorded through a cable box. Motorola set - top box model.

I see my Spectrum guide online as you mentioned, however, I do not see anything about which guide I have. Nothing asks me for my address. I can see all the shows that appear on my television's guide. Now, I am watching the A Very British Romance with Lucy Worsley (recorded one episode on 2-5-23). I hope I will be able to delete it when the show is finished.

However, the other show White House Farm (recorded two episodes on 3-28-23) indicates I do not have permission to watch this. Message says: "Your current subscription doesn't include this title. Please give us a call at (866) 892-1235 to upgrade. WEN-1004" Well I have been watching it after recording it. So not sure what that's about.

• Satch
    Options

Thanks for the update @RFMuser,

What is your Subscription Service level from Spectrum for CATV? (This is what shows on your monthly statement.) There are different levels of service. Here is how to find out if you need to upgrade your Spectrum CATV package to get the channels you want:

1.) Go to this website to review your channel line up:

2.) Click on "Click here" to go to your line up.

3.) Here's the tricky part, after you enter your address, you will want to click on "I am a new customer at this address" even if you are already an existing customer.at that address. By clicking on "I am a new Customer at this address" you will be able to filter your channel line up in different ways to see what is available in every package level. If you click on "I am a current customer at this address", you will only get your existing line up to which you subscribe."

Question: "On what channel was/is White House Farm on? I search for "White House Farm" I could not find anything when I went online to search through my own account. HBO Max has a series called "The Murders at White House Farm", but you would have to subscribe to HBO to get that. Do you have HBO in your plan? If so, HBO Max is automatically a part of that plan. I have HBO in my plan.

All premium channels are Ala-Carte under Spectrum's new pricing and package plans. If you have a legacy plan, such as Spectrum Silver, you have HBO and Showtime in your package. To get all the major channels offered without any premium channels under Spectrum's current packages, you would have to subscribe to Spectrum Select+ Entertainment View. This information should help.

I am stumped as to why the recordings would be gone from your hard drive on your DVR. If you are sure that nobody erased them, and your usage indicator does not show you running out of space, it is possible that an overnight maintenance update to your box could have purged those recordings, but unlikely.

Your response will indicate next responses from our Community concerning your options.

Satch

• RFMuser
    Options

Hi, We watch Canadian CBET CBC television. We are in Michigan so close to the Canadian border. White House Farm is a British show so naturally viewed on Canadian television via CBET CBC. We frequently record shows from that station but this show was removed. It has to be a mistake somehow. I am positive that these two shows were not erased by us. I will attempt to watch these episodes another way or not at all. Though I am interested in the technical reason, if possible.

I reviewed the channel options. Presently, we are satisfied with our Spectrum cable channel options so I don't want to change anything. The only real complaint I have is that there are Spanish channels in my On Demand of which we do not need. I wish I could filter these out and have asked about this in the past. It makes my list of channels seem larger than it is. It's a nuisance that we have to put up with. I had previously asked for a tab for English and a tab for Hispanic channels. It cannot be difficult to program. It doesn't matter to this current issue.

You have been very helpful. I have learned a few things because of this situation. I thank you for this opportunity.

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 698 Contributor
    Options

Go into the DVR menu by way of the main menu and then go into DVR history and find the cancellation or deletion events and open them up and see what they state for the reasoning and note that HBO Max carries that same series under the name of The Murders at White House Farm and maybe they have exclusive licensing rights to do so here in the U.S.

• RFMuser
    Options

Hi, I am reconfirming that we did not delete the shows, Murders at White House Farm that we had recorded from the Canadian CBET CBC channel. There is no deletion in our DVR history for the two shows. These shows had to have been deleted via the Spectrum system. HBO Max licensing or not, I recorded these shows from a non-HBO channel so they should not have been deleted. I had recorded earlier shows before without any auto deletion. Something is new about this recent deletion - or - there is a limitation on viewing a number of shows. Certainly "automation" is to blame for cross-checking the shows I am watching against a list of licensing rules. Should I expect HBO or any other big company to "block" my viewing in real time if there is ever the same show on both channels? I certainly hope not.

• Satch
    Options

Thanks for the update @RFMuser,

Based on what you told us, I believe you when you say that you did not delete the shows. I have not heard of a show being deleted from the DVR that has already been recorded, unless a rare overnight software update did this. Even if somebody had the channel in their package, chose to no longer sub to that channel, if the channel has been recorded to the hard drive, that program would still be available.

If you have a scheduled recording called something like "The Great Scietific Wonders" set to record, and a change to the listing database enteries calls it "Great Scientific Wonders" than the show would not record. Is this the first time that you have lost a show in this way?

Satch

• RFMuser
    Options

This is the first time a show has been recorded, watched by my husband and deleted by the system. We have not encountered this before. If it is because of the HBO licensing right, then I expect I am the loser.

We schedule recording of shows via the hand-held television remote device. Based on your example about a title change, no we have not encountered that situation before.

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 698 Contributor
    edited April 2023
    Options

Based on its location and broadcast reach, there’s no doubt about how well versed CBET-DT would be in the realm of licensing rights conflict resolution. I’ve never heard of this kind of DRM retroaction before, if that’s what it is, nor do i necessarily believe it but the only thing i can imagine is that they somehow did repeal the series in its entirety including recordings of it and the deletions may have been back-dated so as to have immediately expired from DVR history.

• RFMuser
    Options

Thank you and your team mate for listening. I appreciate the follow up and comments.

• Satch
    Options

Sup @HT_Greenfield?

The only way that I could see a series deleted like that after it's been recorded is that a software update to the DVR purged the series from DVR Management. If this customer was running Cloud-DVR, I could see something like this occuring with more frequency being Internet-service based and not hardware based. But, I don't think it is possible for a company that owns a station's content to go into a customer's/vendor's DVR hard drive, and remove a recorded show from a physical DVR box. However, software updates can purge recordings.

I am writing this as I am reviewing @RFMuser's comment here.:

"We are in Michigan so close to the Canadian border. White House Farm is a British show so naturally viewed on Canadian television via CBET CBC. We frequently record shows from that station but this show was removed. It has to be a mistake somehow. I am positive that these two shows were not erased by us. I will attempt to watch these episodes another way or not at all. Though I am interested in the technical reason, if possible".

Now, concerning the above, a station can be removed from a guide system. A main reason why is because Spectrum. like all TV vendors has to pay residuals to the station owners to carry the content. Public affairs programs are least expensive and sports programs are the most expensive. Customer feedback, channel cost, and content, as well as package/service level all play a factor in these decisions. When did you lose this channel in the guide? I don't mean the recorded shows, I mean when was CBET CBC removed from your guide?

Have you had an account review for awhile? It couldn't hurt to call and ask if you might be able to get HBO added to your service, and to see if the rep could lower the $15.00 a month cost down to like $10.00 or maybe only $5.00 a month or something for 12 months. You will get HBO Max automatically with this and will be able to watch the series under the name The Murders at White House Farm. There are tons of movies and shows offered through HBO/HBO Max combined. Than, if you don't want to renew HBO/HBO Max after a year, just take the channel off the account at that time. If the rep says they can't give you any deals on HBO Max, you might not want to pay $15.00 a month if that is all you are interested in seeing. But if you can get that price down, you might want to consider this.

Satch

• RFMuser
    Options

The CBET CBC station was never removed from our guide. I watched it "live" today.

Not interested in HBO. Have had it in the past. I can use my Roku for movies and television shows and they are just as entertaining. Thank you for the comments and suggestion.

This discussion has been closed.