What is the upstream speed for Gig service?

AndrewCCM
AndrewCCM Posts: 3 Spectator
edited September 2023 in Internet 2023 Archive

I currently have the 500mbps service and the upstream is a paltry 25mbps. Does the Gig service increase this limit? I’ve considered fiber from another provider due to this limitation but wanted to give a spectrum a chance.

I appreciate your help!

Andrew

Best Answers

• Lyn_T
    Lyn_T Posts: 385 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓

Good evening @AndrewCCM and welcome to our Community Forums.

Our Gig services features uploads speeds of up to 35 Mbps. We are always looking for ways to improve our services. I will definitely forward your feedback along.

-Lyn

• RAIST5150
    RAIST5150 Posts: 918 Contributor
    Answer ✓

The frequencies and number of channels in play have historically kept upstream bandwidth down on cable systems in previous DOCSIS iterations. Improvements are being made with each revision, but the adoption rate of newer specs is slow going.

https://www.cablelabs.com/technologies/docsis-4-0-technology

DOCSIS4 looks to really ramp things up... but the 3.1 spec has not been implemented on a very broad scale yet.

Answers

• AndrewCCM

Okay. Thanks. That isn’t near what I was hoping.

I appreciate your response.

Andrew

• AndrewCCM

Sounds like I’ll need to go fiber. I have some rather large NAS backups that go to BackBlaze cloud storage and I’ve literally gone 6+months without completing its initial backup. I regularly will have terabytes to upload and this speed isn’t cutting it.

I appreciate your help!

• RAIST5150
    RAIST5150 Posts: 918 Contributor
    edited April 2023

Oof... roughly 8.8 terabits to move 1 terabyte... and that is not accounting for general overhead and error corrections.

That may be a challenge for even gigabit. Might have to aggregate.

Hope you can find a viable solution in your market.

This discussion has been closed.