Cisco 9865HDC_2 DVR box with the Spectrum guide vs old Samsung box

jpfromoh
jpfromoh Posts: 6 Participant
edited September 2023 in Watch TV 2023 Archive

My old Samsung DVR box (clock with two tuners) finally failed. Spectrum in Cincinnati gave me a Cisco 9865HDC-2 DVR (with a clock) and the Spectrum guide as a replacement. Can someone confirm how many tuners this Cisco box has? Also, there are two "features" that I seem to have lost with the Cisco box: (1) capability to specify how many recorded episodes to keep (e.g., 1 , 3, 7, etc.) and (2) the ability to specify for a specific tv show the time that will be recorded (if the episode is repeated during the day).

Am I missing something? Seems like a step backwards for Spectrum.

John

Best Answers

• Satch
    Satch Posts: 5,270 Contributor
    Answer ✓

Hi John,

The Cisco 9865 with Spectrum Guide is a four tuner box. 1TB of storage. You are correct, the number of series episodes to keep is not manually selectable by number. It is either "New Only" or "All." .

A bit confused on the other inquiry. The time to be recorded should be both in the Time Grid and search results. Are you referring to movies, shows, or series?

Satch

• Satch
    Answer ✓

Hi John,

The information that I found out for Spectrum Guide is that individual recordings of shows, repeat showings that are not series. (For example Movies, or TV shows.) will not repeat. This means that if you set a show to record at 9am, and there is a repeat at 4pm, you will only get that 9am showing. Nothing to worry about there. When you record an individual show or movie, you get the content in that time grid block, with the option to extend the end time for that show. (I believe that end time extentions are allowed for up to two hours later from the show's ending in the Time Grid.)

If the show is a part of a series, and you select "Record Series" you only get "Record New" or "Record All" episodes. There is no option to filter individual times for series episodes in Spectrum Guide.. There is no option to select # of episodes to keep in a series on Spectrum Guide. This is an area where the ODN software was better.

The status of an episode as "New" is contingent on whether or not it says "New" in the episode description in the Time Grid.

Satch

• Satch
    Answer ✓

Hi John,

On my same box, the Cisco 9865, but running the ODN Guide, the software gives you the option to continue to the next episode, or Cancel, there is no delete episode option unless you go into the DVR List and select the episode that way. (Which on Spectrum Guide is, "My Library."). Did not know about this Spectrum Guide limitation. Best thing to do, just change channels instead of taking action on that prompt.

Satch

Answers

• jpfromoh

Satch. When I set up a tv series or show to be recorded, my old box allowed me to specify the time of day to record if the show was repeated during the day. Example, if TV show xyz is broadcast at 9:00am, 2:00pm, and say 12:30pm, the old box allowed me to select one of these times. This helped avoid DVR "conflicts".

• jpfromoh

Satch another question. As I said earlier, I have s Cisco 9865HDC-2 DVR (with a clock) and the Spectrum guide. I set up a series to record and all is well. I list the recorded shows for the series and I select one to play back. At the end of the play back I am given choices to "Delete and start next episode" but I am not presented with a choice to simply Delete this episode. Very annoying to have to always start watching the next episode. I have looked at all of the DVR options (which by the way are very limited) and didn't find a setting to stop this start next episode activity. Thoughts? John

This discussion has been closed.