Not able to reach some Websites or very slow to resolve

wickerberry
wickerberry Posts: 72 Contributor
edited January 10 in Internet 2023 Archive

About one week ago I started having trouble reaching some web sites (State Farm, Verizion, Merrill Lynch, Bank of America) to name a few, these are major sites and were not down. My setup is a Spectrum modem and spectrum router that are about two years old. I've not had any trouble before and am getting full speeds up/down and good wifi coverage, the problem happens when wired and wireless. I've tried on a Macbook and Windows computers using Safari, Chrome and Edge. The majority of sites I frequent load in a few seconds but some as I mentioned take 2-3 minutes or not load at all. I rebooted the modem and router yesterday which did not fix it. When I try reaching the sites I mention above using an iPhone on AT&T cellular they load immediately but when I put the iPhone on Wifi at home they have problems so I'm assuming it is my home network which is all Spectrum that is pretty much locked down and cannot alter. I know a little but am certainly no networking expert so need some help on how to troubleshoot root cause, seems like a routing or DNS issue but again I'm over my head here so help is appreciated.

Tagged:

Answers

• Randy_S
    Randy_S Posts: 514 Spectrum Employee

Good evening @wickerberry

We don't block specific websites like the ones you mentioned so that is odd. Are you by chance using a VPN? If so, if you turn the VPN off does the issue clear up?

Randy

• wickerberry

Hi Randy, I don't use a VPN and Security Shield is turned off.

The problem web sites I mentioned are not blocked it is taking minutes not seconds to resolve the site or it times out, I've also run into a few more sites plus some vendor software updates not able to check.

I'm using Spectrum's modem and separate spectrum router so thinking the issue is with one of them, reboot doesn't help. Can this be troubleshooted remotely? It says I'm connected to both devices when I sign into my Spectrum account so I know they can see the devices and mainly why I use Spectrum modem and router so I can rely on Spectrum to help me troubleshoot and resolve things like this. Thanks

John

• Randy_S

Hmmmm... thank you for responding and the update. Since the modem was rebooted a little over two days ago, and it is testing fine, I am not sure that troubleshooting remotely would change anything. I would suggest two things. First, if you can bypass the Wi-Fi router and connect directly to the modem with a device on that Ethernet connection, see if you have the same problem over a hardwired connection. That will let us know if it is the modem or Wi-Fi. If the sites load quickly directly through the modem then we know it is something going on with the Wi-Fi. Second, if that is the case, you could try a factory reset on your modem (button on the back, in some situations it might be a pinhole button).

Keep in mind if you do a factory reset and your Wi-Fi name and password have been changed, the factory reset will change those back to the default name and password listed on the back. You would need to change those again (if you had) after the factory reset.

Randy

• wickerberry

Randy, I will directly connect an iMac to the modem and bypass the router to see what happens.

I'll let you know the result.

John

• wickerberry

Randy, I tried the problem web sites before doing a direct connect from my PC to the modem and to my surprise they were able to connect normally with no timeouts or hanging. Ran through them all for a few days and still getting a good result. I'm not sure what changed but as long as those web site connections work like all the others that what matters. If it it happens again I'll run the direct to modem test.

John

• Randy_S

Wonderful. Thanks for letting me know. My guess is there was a browser update or something but whatever it was ... good job!

Randy

This discussion has been closed.