Intermittent Packet Loss

Options
rberus
rberus Posts: 9 Spectator
edited July 2023 in Gaming & Gaming Related

A friend and I are having an issue with intermittent latency spikes and packet loss. Here are PingPlotter results from me using IPv6 and him using IPv4 showing these issues...

...versus my IPv4 route that is working fine.

Answers

• Jaleesa_F
    Jaleesa_F Posts: 371 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing connectivity issues, I am happy to look into this for you. I will need to ask you some questions so that we can try and resolve the connectivity issue. Has there been connectivity issues across all devices? Or is this specific to a certain device? Are you wired or wireless?

• rberus
    edited June 2023
    Options

It is specific to this device because that is where I play this game. That device is wired.

• thomprl
    thomprl Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Here is another picture while having some latency issues

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 724 Contributor
    edited June 2023
    Options

It looks like the closest thing you have to a problem, there, in each case is with Level 3. Any figure for any router that’s greater than that for any farther out router is a misleading ICMP response outlier because every ICMP packet to/from every router has to go through each one before it. So you start at the end and work your way back to the first router from the end with acceptable figures and then only any in between could be contributing to the unacceptable figures.

• HT_Greenfield
    HT_Greenfield Posts: 724 Contributor
    Options

P.S.: They all contribute to the bottom line of course but hopefully you get an idea of how to tell what's contributing what.

• rberus
    edited June 2023
    Options

Yes, I understand how to interpret a PingPlotter chart.

In two of the examples (these are thomprl's results), there appears to be a issue with lag-801.prr01atlnga.netops.charter.com as it is showing intermittent ping spikes and/or packet loss, though this could be false positive as you mentioned.

In both our examples, there seems to be intermittent packet loss and additional latency at TWDX-level3-100G.Boston1.Level3.net and TWDX-level3-200G.Boston1.Level3.net. However, we have no way to contact Level 3.

This discussion has been closed.