How to get new SMTP Server IP Address Block removed

Options
ccrpcWebAdmin
ccrpcWebAdmin Posts: 3 Spectator
edited January 10 in Internet 2023 Archive

I am setting up a new server which includes a Postfix SMTP server. When I try to send an email to an nc.rr.com address I get a message in the maillog like:

pkvw-mx.msg.pkvw.co.charter.net[47.43.26.7]:25: 501 EHLO x.x.x.x blocked

I don't get any further error code on that line I think because the line is getting cut off.

Answers

• Lyn_T
    Lyn_T Posts: 411 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

Good evening @ccrpcWebAdmin and Welcome to our Community Forums

Thank you for reaching out to us in regards to the email error you are receiving after setting up your server. We are unable to remove blocks that your server has put on an email address. This would be something that you would need to contact the server for assistance with this. - Lyn

• ccrpcWebAdmin
    Options

It is not my server that has the block. It is the Spectrum/Charter server that is blocking our IP.

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,117 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

You can check https://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx to see if your servers IP is appearing on any of the commonly used blacklists, but for most you just have to wait for them to expire.

• ccrpcWebAdmin
    Options

Our IP address is not blacklisted. The MXTools website gives us a very good score on email deliverability. It is only Spectrum that refuses to connect with our email server. All other email service providers work fine.

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,117 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

It looks like the 501 error means "A syntax error was encountered in command arguments." It is typically caused by sending to an invalid email address/domain, anti-virus/firewall dropping the SMTP connection, or using an SMTP command longer than 512 characters.

This discussion has been closed.