Confused about Wi-Fi performance and solution

Options
DaisyB
DaisyB Posts: 3 Spectator
edited September 2023 in Internet 2023 Archive

I have a RAC2V1K router connected to a TM602G router/modem (I still have a land line - sigh). Every week and sometimes more the Wi-Fi either momentarily disappears or latency is dramatically increased. Rebooting both devices temporarily solves these issues. In addition, I live in a small brick Cape cod house and cannot get a reliable 2.4G connection just 20 feet away with only one brick wall in between. I’d love to install an outdoor wireless security camera on that wall but am reticent. Advice?

Best Answer

• catchtwentytwo
    catchtwentytwo Posts: 144 Contributor
    Answer ✓
    Options

I suggest you use a free WIFI tool like LizardSystems Wi-Fi Scanner and see which channel(s) you are connected to. And learn if they are crowded with neighboring users which can interfere with your WIFI. My RAC2V1K  can be accessed http://192.168.1.1/1.2.4/index.html and you can change the channels in use (experiment and see if that helps). If set for AUTO try using 1, 6, or 11 for 2.4 Ghz. For 5 Ghz try 36, 40, 44, or 48.

Answers

• catchtwentytwo
    Options

Ask Spectrum to swap your ancient TM602G DOCIS 2.0 with a free DOCSIS 3.1 modem.

• DaisyB
    Options

So if I get new modem/router combo device do I simply swap, or do I need to call Spectrum and go through a setup routine?

• catchtwentytwo
    edited July 2023
    Options

Spectrum no longer offers all-in-one Modem/Router units. You said you have a separate RAC2V1K router, do not swap it or allow Spectrum to "upgrade it since it is one of the few Spectrum Routers that users can still access settings. Your TM602G Modem is going to be obsolete in in near future and isn't giving you the best performance. I had Spectrum replace a DOCSIS 3.0 modem with a 3.1 modem and kept their RAC2V1K router. It made a difference in performance

If you have a nearby Spectrum Store bring your TM602G Modem and they'll give you a new DOCSIS 3.1. Or you can call Customer Service and ask them to send a DOCSIS 3.1 modem. Be clear that you have Spectrum Telephone service. If the TM602G modem belongs to Spectrum, you'll have to return it.

Again, do not give up your RAC2V1K router, newer ones rented from Spectrum do not allow customers any useful access to settings.

Edit: If you aren't comfortable performing the "swap", ask for them to send a tech to do it (AKA- Truck Roll).

• DaisyB
    Options

Thanks. So I never actually need a combo device? I need just a modem and the current downstream router? Sorry, but this stuff is not my expertise.

• catchtwentytwo
    Options

No problem. According to Spectrum your TM1602G https://www.spectrum.net/support/home-phone/voice-modems supports Telephony but is not a combination modem/router (there's a link to the manual). That's why they rent you the RAC2V1K router and that's where your WIFI connectivity is generated. As mentioned, if you are unsure about doing the swap ask for a technician.

BTW, does your TM1602G have an internal battery backup (for telephone)? If it does, it would be best to ask for a technician service call to make sure the new modem has the same feature. By default, newer modems do not have battery back up, Spectrum will charge extra for it and some techs and customer support agents may not be familiar with that feature. You should specifically ask Customer Service and the technician making the service call about this.

This discussion has been closed.