Increased spam in STX.RR.COM

Options
hectorhernandez
hectorhernandez Posts: 4 Spectator
edited October 2023 in Email

I have noticed a high increase in the breakthrough spam emails coming into my stx.rr.com email address. I have had this address for many years and had not had a problem with this. I want to know what Spectrum is doing about this problem and when it will be corrected. And it doesn't seem to be a problem at my end (in case the reasoning is that "filters" should be adjusted). This is solely Spectrum's doing and it needs to be addressed.

Best Answer

• Lyn_T
    Lyn_T Posts: 393 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Good evening @hectorhernandez and Welcome to our Community Forums

Thank you for reaching out to us about the spam emails you are receiving. I am very sorry for any alarm/inconvenience this must be causing you. If you have already reported the email as spam and you continue to get emails you can report this by clicking the link. This link will also provide you with other suggestions. Please let us know if you have any further questions. -Lyn

Answers

• hectorhernandez
    Options

This is the same “canned” response most of the other customers have gotten from you office. These spam messages continue and they don’t even have a “Senders” name nor address. You all should really begin doing something about this serious problem. I will also be filing a complaint with the state office that oversees your services and ask them to intervene on my behalf. This is an example of what I keep getting.

• jeremy1069
    jeremy1069 Posts: 24 Contributor
    Options

Hi there. I am getting the same exact E-Mails in all of my inboxes. They don't have a sender, so I can't block the sender or domain name they come from. That would usually be the first thing I would do.

It's also possible in the webmail to send specific terms right to spam. I put in "Power Saver" since that was a common one these scammers have been using. That works, now they are doing other ones. I just report them all as spam but it does absolutely nothing. Right now I have about 100 spam E-Mails in my spam folder. I'm getting more than 10 spam E-Mails a day in one of my inboxes, all from the same people. They need to investigate this.

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,092 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    edited September 2023
    Options

Are you using webmail or a 3rd party mail client? It shouldn't be possible to not have a sender, that may be a mail client bug.

I understand spam can be frustrating but it cannot always be prevented completely. Besides blocking the sender or sending up keyword filters, all you can really do is mark the email as spam so our system can better learn to identify those unwanted senders. You can always create a new email address, I have one I use for friends/family/important business and another I use for everything else like signing up for websites that might leak or sell it.

• jeremy1069
    Options

No. This is all on webmail.spectrum.net

(From:) is blank in the E-Mail itself. There is no E-Mail address to block

In the E-Mail list, it shows my E-Mail address as the sender. Attempting to block the sender does nothing, since there isn't one

• hectorhernandez
    Options

I've had this same email address for a very long time. I don't see a reason to have to change it, if there was never an issue before with having breakthrough spam. This is all on Spectrum (no matter how hard they try to deny it).

• jeremy1069
    Options

Several years ago they stopped supporting the E-Mail. I think only legacy customers can use it. As a result technical stuff lapses. I'm pretty sure it's been compromised more than once. I've received spam E-Mails along with numerous other E-Mail addresses on legacy TWC servers in a chain. The spammers clearly had a list of E-Mail addresses on the server.

• William_M
    William_M Posts: 1,092 ✅ Verified Employee Moderator
    Options

@hectorhernandez, is it showing your email address in the sender field or is it completely blank everywhere you look?

If it has your email address, unless you also see the emails in your sent folder it means those emails are spoofed emails.

If you received a spoofed email claiming to be from Charter Communications, don't alter the email and forward the email in its entirety, including email header information to phishing@charter.net .

If you received a spoofed email claiming to be from a company other than Charter Communications, forward the email in its entirety to the company that is being spoofed. Most organizations also have information on their websites about reporting unwanted communications or abuse.

You should also forward the phishing email to the Federal Trade Commission at spam@uce.gov and the Anti-Phishing Working Group at reportphishing@antiphishing.org.

• hectorhernandez
    Options

Thank you for the recommendation. However the only address that is viewable is mine. There is no senders information at all.

This discussion has been closed.